• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Vet sick green cheek conure

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
Hey guys! I’ve never posted here and I’m not sure what to expect but I need some advice. I took my gcc on Sunday to the vet because she looked terrible. She was closing one eye and has been puffed up. She also wasn’t as loud and was sleeping a lot. She got a shot on Sunday of antibiotic and he told me to keep her warm. She still looks the same if not worse and I took her Wednesday and they found nothing wrong with her. But she’s still acting the same. The vet gave her another shot and now giving her .05cc of baytril orally. I’m not sure what to think she eats and poops normal too. Just her behavior is not normal. Also today she started to gag ( not the mating one) and nothing would come out. She did it twice. Guys any advice or help I’m not sure what to do at all. I’ve already spent over 300$ and she isn’t improving and it’s so expensive to keep taking her but I don’t want anything to happen to her. Thank you guys, any advice helps.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you see an avian vet or normal vet?
Were any tests done?
What did they say the antibiotics were for if they found nothing wrong?

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
Did you see an avian vet or normal vet?
Were any tests done?
What did they say the antibiotics were for if they found nothing wrong?
I saw an avian vet. And no he didn’t run any tests because he said she was fine(??) and then he said “just to make sure”. I feel like he half assed both of my visits and I still have no response on what’s happened.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you still think she’s unwell then seeking another vet opinion is most likely the best option.

I can’t understand how they could assess your bird was fine without doing at least some swabs. I also can’t understand why’d they’d give antibiotics if they thought she was fine.

@Hankmacaw

Levyyy

Moving in
Real Name
Mireya
If you still think she’s unwell then seeking another vet opinion is most likely the best option.

I can’t understand how they could assess your bird was fine without doing at least some swabs. I also can’t understand why’d they’d give antibiotics if they thought she was fine.

@Hankmacaw
I honestly don’t understand that either. Worst part that it’s curbside so I can’t even see what they’re doing. And first they told me she has an infection somewhere and they don’t know where. And now they said she’s fine but to take antibiotics to ensure her safety. I really don’t understand. But if she doesn’t get better in 2 days I will be taking her back to hear me out. It’s ridiculous how much money I’ve spent for no improvement and for them to be guessing what’s wrong. Thank you for your advice!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know it's expensive - lordy yes I know, but you need to be somewhat assertive with a vet you are not satisfied with. A bird that is showing those symptoms is sick and some tests need to be done. At the very least he should do an anal and cloacal swab and gram stain. Ideally, a CBC and Chem panel are called for. Perhaps you can ask him why he hasn't done, at least the swabs. Or find another vet.

Are you very sure she isn't getting ready to lay an egg?