• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet or no Vet?

Lorenzo19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
I have a Green Cheek Conure, I've had him a little over a year now and he's only gone to the vet once to get his nails trimmed. I have been doing some research and found out you must take him to the vet once a year. I found this out about when quarantine started, but I haven't taken him because I'm scared I might get the COVID or that he might if someone there has it. I called a few vets near me and I'm thinking of taking him. I really want him to get some blood tests, get his nails trimmed (I tried filing them on my own, but he won't let me), talk to the vet about diet and stuff, and get a gender DNA test. Do you think it's worth taking him or waiting till after this crouna thing is over? I'm also concerned about his stress marks that he has and that he's starting to get fluffed up more than usual. If you do think it's worth taking him now does anyone recommend any vets near Crestwood, Kentucky? And does anyone know of all the things he needs to get checked for? I know he needs blood tests and like a check to make sure he looks good on the outside but does anyone recommend anything else he might want to get checked for?

Also, does anyone recommend any good travel cages for when I take him? I have one but it's rusted and the door is too small so it's hard to get him in there.

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Most vets are doing no-waiting-room service. You drive up, give your animal in the carrier to the person at the door and then park and wait for the call/text that the visit is done. As long as your bird is secured in a carrier, it should be relatively easy to make an appointment and have him seen by your vet.

Mhert

Meeting neighbors
I have two of the white prevues and two midwest/AA poquitos. The poquitos are heavier than need be for a vet visit, and those prevue cages are nice and light, not to mention you can fold them up. You may want to use one or two toy hangers to fasten the door in though, the latch can sometimes open from moving it around too much.
Took Vali to a vet on a false alarm not too long ago, most of them are operating with as little contact as possible, which is nice to see. As for vets, there seem to be a few in that area that see birds, which is nice.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Each of my birds have the travel cage @Kiwi's Mom mentioned, and I really like it.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think it's worth it to take him in for a checkup. They want to be safe too so they'll likely have practices in place for human safety.