• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet insurance

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Never tried it. Honestly many of the pet insurance companies haven't offered enough help for clients and friends:
Just make sure to research the details of the plan to ensure it covers you and your featherwd friend in the event of illness.... Many fid illnesses are from negligence (not saying you are a bad parent- dont misunderstand). But if the treament stems from a need due to malnurtition, impropper husbandry, etc. Many claims can get denied.

I dont have insurance, instead- I just put money aside each month to ensure that I have enough for an emegency. But others should chime in- :)

Patience

Meeting neighbors
Thanks mythic55! It has never been a hardship for us to pay our own or our pets medical bills, we are prepared for that. But it seems like such a good idea!

I was put off by the lack of information offered on the site. Call for information? In this day and age?!

Still, catastrophic coverage might be a lifesaver.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I tried to apply with Chirp. Since he has liver disease, they said that we wouldn't be accepted in until my vet can prove that he's "cured". Seeing as it's a ifelong condition though, that won't be happening. My next bird, I will apply when they are a baby, 100% healthy.

We do have it for Roxie, though. It picks up basically everything, I think it even covers nail trims and preventatives and stuff. You do have to pay it first and then send a claim though, which is a bummer, but it's better than nothing. I wish we has it with Chirp now, being that we pop at least 100$ at the vet every 2 weeks, that gets real expensive real fast.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We've had it for Milton for the last 8 years or so...never have had to file a claim on the policy. It pays for portions of procedures, etc.. it makes me feel a little better, but if I had it all over I'd skip the insurance and put the premiums in a savings account.

I was put off by the lack of information offered on the site. Call for information? In this day and age?!
Yeah, that site isn't the greatest...If you're considering the insurance, my advice is to call them...

Patience

Meeting neighbors
I finally found more info. Cost runs $12-$20 a month (and up I am sure!) The company reimburses for eligible expenses, doesn’t pay at the time of the visit.

Looks like 10% copay, $50 deductible per visit. $2,000 limit per incident. $7,000 cap per year.

Pre-existing condotions aren’t covered, along with hereditary and other conditons.

It seems decent, if not fabulous. And with the Wells Fargo vet card, a lower rate credit card for pet owners, (I saw it recently offered at my local vet office.), it might really help some birds.

We are used to the expenses involved in living with our darling. Even so, a backup plan is never a bad idea.

Patience

Meeting neighbors
Thanks taxidermynerd and cassiesdad! Real experience reviews are exactly what I was hoping for!

We do tell everyone who says “I want a pet bird, does it talk?” all about the vet bills. Syd is a really healthy girl but we paid many thousands of dollars when she plucked a tooth out of a zipper - and ate it! Just glad they didn’t have to do surgery. Worth every penny.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have Nationwide for my dogs. It does help with vet costs. When Leyna had MRSA and was being treated for 8 months, Nationwide significantly took the financial sting out of her treatment.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be very sure to check the fine print. It's a different company because I'm in the UK, but my parrot insurance doesn't cover plucking unless there's a medical (as opposed to behavioural) cause.

Patience

Meeting neighbors
Thanks nikomana and tka! I may call and ask for more information.

Fortunately Syd isn’t a plucker though she rumples a feather or two using a back scratcher.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Be very sure to check the fine print. It's a different company because I'm in the UK, but my parrot insurance doesn't cover plucking unless there's a medical (as opposed to behavioural) cause.
Yep, that is what i was trying to say earlier. Many times they will deem it as 'situational' vs 'medical'. Fine print nightmare to 'prove; your cause.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Had it. Dropped it. Only pays a portion of what THEY consider a vet visit should be.

Strongly suggest you call and ask them particular things......if office visit is this amount (say whatever YOUR VET charges for office call), how much would they reimburse you?

I received some money back but nothing like they led me to believe.

Better off banking the monthly premium in your own savings account (in my opinion).

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks Clueless!
When I had it, it was VPI and was bought by nationwide. They kept telling me they were revamping the bird policy but it didn't happen while I was with them.

Can't recall the year the "schedule" was dated but it was OLD.

It was certainly easier for daughter-in-law with the dog with nationwide.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's true that these insurance plans only pay a portion of your visit. For the healthy pet where you're paying monthly premiums year in and year out it could be viewed as expensive.
However, if/when your pet becomes sick it takes the sting out of the high vet costs. I viewed it as an investment which, for me, paid off. With Leyna it was with her costly MRSA treatments. With Nadja it was when she was hit by a car and needed ortho surgery, followed by a cancer diagnosis when she was only 6 years old.

I don't carry insurance for my birds; just for my dogs. I have a savings account for them.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's true that these insurance plans only pay a portion of your visit. For the healthy pet where you're paying monthly premiums year in and year out it could be viewed as expensive.
However, if/when your pet becomes sick it takes the sting out of the high vet costs. I viewed it as an investment which, for me, paid off. With Leyna it was with her costly MRSA treatments. With Nadja it was when she was hit by a car and needed ortho surgery, followed by a cancer diagnosis when she was only 6 years old.

I don't carry insurance for my birds; just for my dogs. I have a savings account for them.
Very true.

It could take the "sting" out.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Very true.

It could take the "sting" out.
It sure would have here, had we been able to get it for Chirp. We go every two weeks, costing around 100$ per visit. So I added up the totals from his invoices (visits, ER trips, meds and beak trims), totaling in at 1,360.94 since 8/15/2019. Sure would have been nice to have had even half of that covered. And it's only gonna get more expensive, Chirp is going to need continuous vet care for the rest of his life and the ER trips will only increase. Insurance would have helped a lot, but now it's too late for us to get it.

Patience

Meeting neighbors
We have a better idea what questions to ask, appreciate everyone’s input!

A further consideration for us might be would the insurance stay with Syd bird for her new people if she outlives us. I suspect the answer is no but it never hurts to ask!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have a better idea what questions to ask, appreciate everyone’s input!

A further consideration for us might be would the insurance stay with Syd bird for her new people if she outlives us. I suspect the answer is no but it never hurts to ask!
FYI, make sure to ask if they will exclude anything.