• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet Expenses

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
hi everyone!

I have a vet appointment set up for my 2 canaries in one week. It will be their first checkup since I brought them home. My biggest concern is - how much will it cost for two canaries to be seen? I've been trying to research costs, but it seems like such a wide range! What is everyone else's experience with vet expenses?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Best to call the vet you have them booked in at and ask what their costs are..... I get given a lowest and highest price range for the things I am wanting done or checked.

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
I would ask your specific vet. Mine charges $60 as the base exam cost, with additional charges for bloodwork and fecal exams.
Best to call the vet you have them booked in at and ask what their costs are..... I get given a lowest and highest price range for the things I am wanting done or checked.
I had to pay 250 to get a checkup for both my budgies combined.
I had to pay 250 to get a checkup for both my budgies combined.
Yes, I checked with them for the prices and they said just under $70 for each bird. Of course they also recommended fecal tests/blood tests/etc. However, the birds have appeared healthy since I brought them home (I've been keeping a close eye out for any signs of illness) so I'm not too sure if these additional tests are necessary.

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
In the case of birds appearing to be healthy....... it is their instinct to not be the easy target so it is what they do even when they're on deaths door.

So $140 should see you in the clear for your vet check then? Is that with the fecal tests too?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really does vary astronomically. At my avian vet, a wellness exam plus testing is around $400 per bird. I do advise getting tests done for at least the initial checkup to make sure nothing is amiss, as birds won't show signs of illness until it progresses to the point where they're too sick to hide it. Best to know for sure that they're healthy than to have an unpleasant surprise later on.

clarousel

If you're worried about expenses, perhaps consider how much you can afford on both birds and then decide on what tests you'd like to do (if any at all). You could also ask the vet which tests are higher on the 'priority' list.

My vet actually did a fecal test for my budgie at no extra cost but like everyone said, it varies a lot!

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
In the case of birds appearing to be healthy....... it is their instinct to not be the easy target so it is what they do even when they're on deaths door.

So $140 should see you in the clear for your vet check then? Is that with the fecal tests too?
Nope, the $140 is for both of their physical examinations alone. They offered an annual workup as well that includes a blood count, fecal test, and throat/vent swab that comes to around $200 for each bird.

• Wow

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's $90 for me to see my vet, then usually another $400 if I want a complete workup. The $200 you were quoted sounds like a steal to me LOL.

I always at least do a gram stain

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
It's $90 for me to see my vet, then usually another $400 if I want a complete workup. The $200 you were quoted sounds like a steal to me LOL.

I always at least do a gram stain
hmmm, okay! everyone's opinions really helped. I've always known that birds can hide their sicknesses very well, but I felt like I needed some second opinions before deciding what was necessary. I've never had my own pet before now so vet expenses are new to me. I will make sure that I do what is best for the birds! Thank you everyone for all of your feedback!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My avian vet charges $85 for an exam and other tests/treatments are extra. On the plus side, we now have a relationship with her and if I have a question I can email her and send pictures. She'll respond, advise me and tell me if I need to bring my budgie in.

clarousel

hmmm, okay! everyone's opinions really helped. I've always known that birds can hide their sicknesses very well, but I felt like I needed some second opinions before deciding what was necessary. I've never had my own pet before now so vet expenses are new to me. I will make sure that I do what is best for the birds! Thank you everyone for all of your feedback!
Totally understand how you feel. It's the same for me now (have brought my first ever budgie to the vet twice in 3 weeks) and my whole family thinks I'm mad wasting my money on a small bird :/

Hope you go to good vet and get what you need done!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My vet generally charges about 45$ for a visit, not including tests or medications or anything.

I think in the last 7 months of my budgie's life, we spent close to 2,000 dollars on vet care. He had a lot of issues happening at the same time and we exhausted all our options, ultimately we had him put to sleep because he was in excruciating pain and was basically drowning in his own blood. It was horrible but I am glad I was able to give him a peaceful end.

Money spent on vet care is never wasted in my opinion.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have spent $500 on a five dollar fee zebra finch but that included being put down and a new Cropsey

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Nope, the $140 is for both of their physical examinations alone. They offered an annual workup as well that includes a blood count, fecal test, and throat/vent swab that comes to around $200 for each bird.
Yeah my vet is about the same price just to walk in the door for a physical exam.... that is fairly reasonable pricing from what I have seen from the members here and my own quoted and lived experiences.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Ive only once taken a canary to the vet. Because i could not bring myself to kill it :( in my experience, with these kind of birds, if they get sick, they die. And they will probably die before you notice they’re sick.