• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very worried after vet appointment Bleeding from nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just catching up on this now! I am sosoooo realieved for you and Max. What an ordeal you went thruogh. You did a great job caring for him...he is so lucky to have you!:hug8:

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
This happened with Monty, my ekkie boy when we took him in for a beak trim. It was very scary but they said in certain species little vessels in their nose can burst under stress. Hope he's okay!

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
Again, I can't thank you all enough. I know I did not personally respond to each post, but I've been a little frantic as you can tell. I apologize for that, but I want you all to know how truly grateful both Max and I are to each and every one of you that offered your advice, support, help, prayers, and well wishes. I wouldn't not have made it through the night without you, and I don't think Max would have still been here without all the help I received. Thank you again, all of you, and thank you very much Gary for all your wonderful help and encouragement last night. :heart::hug8::heart::hug8:
AA is definitely a very unique board that has a lot of knowledgeable and caring parrot owners. I pray that I never have to use the 911 section on AA, but if I'm ever in an emergency situation with my birds its comforting to know that its there and you'll get whatever help can be offered.

In fact with some of the recent situations that have occurred recently, I'm going through a lot of posts over the next few days and add more things to my bird first aid kit while I'm on holidays in a week. I will be creating 2 first aid kids - one for at home and one for at the trailer.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I wonder if some steamy showers might be good for his sinus'? Bringing him into the bathroom and letting it steam up. How is the humidity in your home right now? If it is dry where you live, running a humidifier might be a good idea. :hug8:

Last edited:

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Thank you very much. You know, the more I think of it, I think he may have caused his nose to bleed. He was scratching his nose a lot, and with freshly trimmed toe nails (that were not filed down afterwards) it is very conceivable that he scratched his nose. The blood seemed to be coming from the right nostril mostly and that is the one I saw him scratching. However, he could have also been scratching it because it was irritating to have blood inside the nose.

I'm going to let him chill today, and I will check the humidifier setting when I get back home. I just had the AC unit replaced about a month ago, and right after it was replaced the humidifier wasn't running but that's been fixed. I'm glad I offered the bowl of water this morning, but he did lose a lot of blood during this ordeal and I will just try to keep him calm and be sure to wet him down a few times so that he doesn't feel dry.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear that he is doing better,I was so worried about him. :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Finally got through all the updated posts! Way to go MAX! So glad you are on the mend...You can give Cayenne on a reg. base...My birds have it every day in their foods and have now for close to 20 years!....Gary is a ANGEL! He cares so much for our birds and is always there to help us in anyway he can and has saved a number of birds because the vet wrote the wrong dosages to give...he understands the meds/what they are for/dosages and what can happen....he has many years experience and is able to talk with vets all over....I have even sent non AA members to him for help...We are so very forunate to have him as a member to help us....:hug8:Keep up the good work with Max...so understand what you are going through and YES, they give ALL of us grey hairs!
What I was ?ing from what you had posted was you were just trying to get a blood sample for a DNA test and that is what I couldn't understand with the toenail already bleeding, why the blood wasn't taken from that...It is just a couple of drops at the most they need to do that testing....and as I also stated, IF you were doing full panels of blood work, then I could understand and agree on the vein in the neck....it is quick/fast and USUALLY not problems!....but like anything, things can go wrong....just like with us and our needle sticking or what ever...I hate needles! LOL
Take a deep breath, relax and THANK YOU for keeping us posted on Max...he is a cutie! Many :hug8:for you too!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So glad he's doing better!! You did such an amazing job during that emergency to stay clam and help him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very glad he is doing better!!!

bethoid

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Beth
So glad to hear the situation seems to be resolving and Max is doing better.! :heart: (I've had to keep checking in on this post) Thanks for posting, because it really helps us newbies be more aware of different treatments when something might go wrong. Example..I had never heard of slippery elm.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:) I am so happy that he is doing better :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for great news!!! I needed an afternoon pick me up, and this just did it!:dancing: Thanks for being a wonderful parront, as soon as your baby needed you. :hug8:And thanks to AA, and all of our wonderful members.:hug8:

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Oh my goodness!!!! Thank god he is doing so well!!! Its 6 am here and dark so I'm sneaking around so I don't wake the birds!! I had to check in on max. That is so great he is feeling better. You are amazing!! :) :heart:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
So glad Max is recovering from this ordeal. Poor baby. He sure is a cutie pie. You are doing such a great job taking care of him.:heart:

Tyger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Glad Max is doing better!! I was reading the posts last night, like this :eek:. But I wanted to stay off and not post so that others with advice and experience could give you much needed information. He was in my thoughts and prayers last night and this morning. Continue to get better, Max!:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:He is Beautiful:heart:and You are a wonderful Parront:hug8:

Ariahna

This last update comes from Max himself. We can't thank you all enough. There are no words to express how grateful we are to all of you for the help, prayers, thoughts and support through something that could have ended in such a different way. I will be sleeping better tonight. All of this footage was recorded tonight. :heart: and :hug8:and a great big THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.