• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very sick femaile cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for replying Susanne. So fast!:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh your poor baby:( I am so sorry you are going through this..as for the hysterectomy, my vets were honest from the start and said it would be extremely risking on such a small bird (Kiwi my parrotlet)...I chose not to do it....instead we continued fluid taps weekly, and then she tested positive for cancer, so chemo treatments and taps until she passed....such a tough situation to be in.....:hug8:

texmac

Moving in
Wow thanks gain for all the comments folks.
Just got back from the vet yet again.

More tube feeding, more antibiotics, more fluid removed.:(

Vet feels that the hysterectomy is still needed. We have scheduled it for 10 days out while we try to strengthen her some and continue researching things.. Vet says waiting longer than that will just make her weaker.

Klebsiella - no test done for this, but there does not appear to be any lung problems, sounds like this is a form of pneumonia?

The fluid is clear not yellow as was described on the peritonitis page and there has never been any sign of egg parts in the bird or the cage- dont know if that rules out peritonitus or not??? I will pass on that link thanks.

HERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD: At the vets, we put her in her carryall while we talked about treatments. Then we took her back out to give her the meds before she went home. Inside the carryall on the floor were two round spheres maybe 1/4 inch in diameter of what look like solid gelatinous opaque white material. Our first thought was that these were unformed eggs. But when the vet sliced them in half there was no center to them or any visible structure - they were just a uniform white semi-firm gelatin like material( like big tapioca spheres). Vet is going to do a cell slide examination of them. Anyone know what this is?

again thanks for the notes everyone :o:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
they are eggs..unformed for sure.....many hugs..you have some big decisions to make. she is also severely lacking in calcium to lay unformed eggs like that..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
they are eggs..unformed for sure.....many hugs..you have some big decisions to make. she is also severely lacking in calcium to lay unformed eggs like that..
Yup. Eggs. If she has peritonitis then that means the eggs broke inside her, thus there would be no contents inside the egg and she just basically laid the shells. The fact that she laid/got rid of them is good.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It sounds like she had ectopic (sp) eggs....which means the yolk got diverted into the abdominal cavity, and the remaining part traveled down the oviduct and enclosed the matter into a semi-formed shell. If the egg had a good shell laid on it upon breaking it would be yolk-less.

This results in peritonitis. If the fluid is still clear it has not become septic yet. But since the vet drew fluids out of the body that is invasive and antibiotics (and I STRONGLY suggest) that pipercillin will be the most effective. I have dealt with this in the past and it is the ONLY effective antibiotic.

Rather than consider going the drastic route you might want to consider the actual cause of the problem. What comes to my mind first is what type of lighting is provided. Here is an article I have posted on another forum that may be helpful and has alot of good info: Lack of calcium (Importance of Calcium) - Talk Cockatiels Forums

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The fact that she laid/got rid of them is good.
---------------------------------------------------------

On the one hand good, because this would not be cause for an impaction in the uterus. On the other-hand, since the yolks were not encased in the membrane then it is a good reason to suspect peritonitis

texmac

Moving in
Well did surgery yesterday.
Egg Yolk Peritonitis: was the cause.

Seems to be doing OK at this point - we will see how it goes.
very expensive procedure
:(

thanks again for all the posts.

anyone have a tip on how to administer VERY small amounts of meds? the syringe method deosn't seem to be working very well

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Hang in there, sweet baby, my thoughts are with you. Texmac, Thank you for being such a caring person towards your birdy. Congrats on being a great parront.

Status
Not open for further replies.