• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very serious bite on first visit- lost cause?

Should I pursue adopting a cockatoo that bit me HARD at first meeting?

• You stuck your dumb finger in her mouth, she probably just doesn't know you.

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Do not get a bird that bites your fingernail off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every bird I've had has bit me except for Dobby and he latched onto my thumb nail one day when I knew he was wound up and should have left him alone. I did turn my thumb around just in case and that saved me. Very are that they never bite but some birds are just gentle souls that wont bite till every other option is exhausted.
Sophie, my red-bellied parrot, only bit me once but she was trying to get to her sister, Claudé, and I got in between
so that doesn't really count as a true bite, does it?
She is a VERY gentle soul and her older sister, Becca, (RIP) was the same way.
My cockatiel, Callisto, has also never bitten me.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know that I would put it the way you did in your poll, but putting your finger on any part of a bird, or dog, or cat etc. that you don’t know is never advised. I’m so sorry you were hurt! The rescue I work with does not allow people to touch the birds unless you are working with the bird to start building a relationship prior to adoption. And even then, only with one of the experienced volunteers. Perhaps spend some additional time visiting before you decide.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sophie, my red-bellied parrot, only bit me once but she was trying to get to her sister, Claudé, and I got in between
so that doesn't really count as a true bite, does it?
She is a VERY gentle soul and her older sister, Becca, (RIP) was the same way.
My cockatiel, Callisto, has also never bitten me.
My tiels have never bitten either. Thank goodness tiels are so sweet. I think they are under appreciated.

I grab Elvis's toes and beak through the cage bars, playing with him. But I wouldn't let someone else try it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiels have never bitten either. Thank goodness tiels are so sweet. I think they are under appreciated.

I grab Elvis's toes and beak through the cage bars, playing with him. But I wouldn't let someone else try it.
My 'tiel, Kuiper, will bite. He's the only 'tiel I've had who bites. :-(
I grab Keno's toes and beak, too, and just like you I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do that.
I used to bring her to schools and she would be part of presentations I would do for students of various ages.
She was always well behaved except for some screaming. I did have to tell the students not to touch her or stick
their fingers into her carrier.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila

My tiel is a little maniac he’s just not a big fan of hands, really, but also wants to be picked up and hang out. Silly guy
And I’ve posted before about the Galah at the rescue I volunteer at who loves me and loves to bite me in near equal amounts. Toos are weird.