• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very scary incident.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yesterday I had an extremely scary incident happen with my finches. I have 5 finches in an outside aviary. The aviary is 6' x 4' x 2'. They are society finches, two parents and their three babies. Yesterday, i went out to feed them and found everyone hysterical. The three babies were outside the aviary flying loose around my backyard:omg: They were upset, their parents were upset, it was not good. I freaked and thought, how will I ever help them. It took about 2 hours, but I was able to get all three of them back!

The aviary has an enclosure so that the large main door opens to this enclosed area so I can feed, water, clean safely. I pulled up the door to the enclosure (which is like a bamboo screen shade that just hangs down) and I waited for them to fly into that enclosure. One at a time, they did and I was able to sneak over and close the shade and get them back in. The last one though, got out before I could get him inside. So, I had to wait again for him to go in, it took forever, but he did. My husband helped me get in there, again, he escaped! He went out in 4 times before I was able to close the shade drop and get him into the aviary. Each time he went in faster, so he had learned, I think that was the way back in. At one point he was across the street (the aviary is in the backyard) and I could see him in trees in the neighborhood. I had to encourage his family to make noise. I also went out front and called to him and went back into the backyard hoping he would see me over there and know to come back in that direction. I felt horrible and so helpless. Finally, we came back and went back inside and we got him in safely.

I found a crack on the side of the feeder door, that they had to have gotten out from. It was really small, but they were able to get out. I of course secured the door and then added a cover of the mesh that the enclosure is made out of.

I am so relieved that they are ok. But, I keep on checking on them now:(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: how scary. I would have panicked too! I am glad that it all worked out and that you were able to get all the babies back.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
OMG! I know your heart had to be racing. I am glad they are all back home!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:omg: how scary. I would have panicked too! I am glad that it all worked out and that you were able to get all the babies back.
I did panic. I even had a hard time sleeping last night.

OMG! I know your heart had to be racing. I am glad they are all back home!
Yes, and your post about being a good parront made me decide to post. I felt so awful, they are my responsibility and the thought of them being out was just very very scary.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:omg: and :hug8:'s. That would be such a scary thing to have happen. Glad you were able to get them all back in there.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:omg:
I am soooooooooo glad you got them back!!!!

When your bird escapes, then you get them back, you for sure have post traumatic stress.

I believe that. I am still heightened this morning for sure. I was SO shocked when I went out there and they are all just flying around and I"m going, "how is this possible?" "how could this happen?".

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is so incredibly frightening im so glad you got them back.considering how fast and small they are you are incredibly lucky phew phew phew

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
:omg:Thank goodness you got them back!!! That is super scary!

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
that is amazing that you got all three of them back again and the last little baby escaped four time!! You are a great parront to stick with him until he was safely in his home. :hug8: what a horrible experience

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Vicki I am so glad you were able to get the babies back. How scary for you. :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Wow that is scary and amazing that you got them back!!! I have never heard of someone able to get finches back!! Good for you and them!!! Some one was watching out for you guys!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Wow that is scary and amazing that you got them back!!! I have never heard of someone able to get finches back!! Good for you and them!!! Some one was watching out for you guys!
I can't believe it either. I felt so upset and helpless. I will be honest, I tried some stuff that I wouldn't normally do, I actually closed my eyes and just envisioned them flying in there. I encouraged the parents to call them. I followed him around and talked to him. Very scary!

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Vicki luck was surely riding on your shoulders to get those Little Guys back. I'm so very glad of the happy ending :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.