• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

very sad news

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got Valentines ABV results today and she tested positive for PDD, he wants to start her on celebrex but she wont take liquids so he is going to try pharmacys to see if he can find powder form. I am a wreck, I knew when he called this time of day, something was wrong. Thanks to the person who suggested this test to me. Now I know what is wrong. I feel like all the air has been taken out of me. :cool:

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
First off, so sorry about what you're going through. :sadhug2:

Just a little clarification, did your vet do a tissue biopsy plus the ABV blood test? Without a tissue sample your bird cannot possibly be diagnosed with PDD as far as I am aware. If your bird was only given the ABV blood test then a false positive is a very real possibility and you must retest at least twice more. Do not take a positive ABV test as the final say, treat like it's real, but retesting should be mandatory.

@Hankmacaw @mythic55 @Macawnutz @Greycloud

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:sadhug2:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This testing came about because of the rust color that surrounds her poo. I noticed today when I was changing her playstand papr
er, the rust color ring was there

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very sorry to hear about this :sadhug:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I'm so sorry. I would ditto what was said about false positives on a single test. It is not uncommon, so additional tests are usually recommended to be sure.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Celebrex is sold as a powder inside gelatin capsules for people so should be easy to find.

I just......never heard of rust color ring around poop being a symptom of PDD. Are there pieces of undigested food in the droppings? Does Valentine show any neurological symptoms? Is she maintaining weight? Do the droppings have excessive urates (liquid)?
If excess urine, collect a urine sample and have vet look for red blood cells in it.

Possibly you have an ABV positive bird, but not one who has progressed to PDD.
I looked back on your other threads and you don't mention any symptoms that sound like a sick bird.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The avian vet that she goes to is spot on, he said the test results showed she has PDD, I had mentioned in a previous post about her poos and the color of the ring, she is maintaining her weight, she was doing fine but the rust color starting showing up again on the playstand and her playstand papers.
I do plan on getting another ABV test done again. I am still quite numb, its just hard to watch her and know she is sick, my heart hurts so bad.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:darkcloud: I'm so sorry, I hope it turns out to be a false positive somehow. :sadhug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
ABV DOES NOT mean she had PDD. In fact many birds have ABV. I think I read somewhere on the web that about 25% of captive birds have it. Rust ringed poop doesnt indicate ABV and it certainly doesnt indicate PDD. It does indicate potential dietary concerns and possible kidney issues. But it depends on her diet.

Color pellets cause "rust" color around the poops. Strawberries and other fruits too.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is no definite test for PDD. Abv is tested wih blood. If your vet sent the bollwork to the OHIO Lab have them resend it to Texas A&M. Ohio has many falso positives. Again, your vet should not hav told you the bird is positive for PDD. There is no test unless they did a biopsy and it showed positive. There is no bloodwork for the test.