• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

VERY RARE - never before seen picture

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Whaddya mean " very rare". Its a caique exiting a next box, innit?

Well yes and no. Its the very rare Green Thighed Caique, Barbie Girl, now 8 years and 7 months old, who has FINALLY decided she is interested in a nestbox. Of course its not HERS, but more anon.

This is the same bird who has slept on a perch EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of her life. She would rather be uncomfortable on a perch than sleep in her own personal nestbox. I have tried different cages, different nestboxes, pointing in all possible directions, North, south, East and sideways. I have tried sodding FUNG SHUI, so she can achieve harmony with her surroundings, she laughed in my face "Do it again papa, youre so funny"

I took her from the avairy with her mate, gave her her OWN BEDROOM, to give her silence and privacy, she did not change her mind. She does it to wind me up. Even though the same bird adores the ground I walk on, she FLATLY REFUSED to entertain a nextbox.

I took advice from breeders who said if you place her in a nextbox for one night she will accept it. I put her in and closed the door only for her to SCREAM BLUE MURDER and throw herself against the walls to escape. I had to let her out after two minutes, and finally gave up.

But today, in the front room, she decides she likes:
(a) Cha Cha
(b) Cha Cha's nest box

She pops in and out of it every few minutes while Cha Cha looks on, bemused

Whats next?
Lesbian sex?

Its hilarious when people post on this website worrying that their caiques will breed like tribbles and cause a massive baby population problem

ITS BLOODY DIFFICULT TO BREED CAIQUES

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Its hilarious when people post on this website worrying that their caiques will breed like tribbles and cause a massive baby population problem

ITS BLOODY DIFFICULT TO BREED CAIQUES
Tell me about it. I just stole the egg breakers first egg and placed it in the $2000 piece of machinery to hopefully hatch a baby in 25 days or so. This pair is 7 and those years, before today, they laid 8 eggs, I have only gotten 2 babies who made it from those eggs and they were fostered under one of my WBC and hand fed from day one.

They are adorable though. The BHC's are my nemesis.

I wonder if Barbie Girl will take a permanent liking to the box?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Barbie Girl is a diva and must have things exactly her way. She just refuses to tell you what that way is

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They are adorable though. The BHC's are my nemesis.

Its those American BHC's. They have too much attitude!

The South African BHC's are such easy breeders that they are often the "go-to" solution instead of the $2000 piece of equipment

They are often kept as foster parents for WBC breeders

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think she will. The problem is I will have to displace Cha_Cha, who is currently residing in said nextbox

Cha_Cha has no interest in laying this year ( so far), but still, she is still the boss, MY BOSS.

Removing her is like removing your child from her bedroom.

I can imagine the accusing looks right now.......

( I feel dirty for even thinking it)

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Play up to most female’s heart.....get a cha cha a better and improved and more colourful box, and shell think she hit the jack pot and Barbie girl can have the hand me downs!
such attitudes that we must tiptoe around, is hilarious!! :heart::heart: