• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very nippy and aggressive princess parrot

Salmon

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sam Neill
Hi all I recently bought a princess parrot (elvis) ive only had him for 4 days but so far nothing has changed he has seemed to become a bit more aggressive since going into his cage for the first time he bites my hand whenever i have it near his cage and he becomes extremely aggressive in target training he grabs and hold the stick and im not sure how to stop him i would love some suggestions to help move our training along at a slower and calmer pace for the both of us and some tips to get him more used to my hand as a friend not something to fear. I know i have only had him for 4 days but he was hand reared and has gotten more aggressive since i got him?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aggressive is usually fear or a reaction to body language not being understood. I would step back and give him time to acclimate.

Salmon

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sam Neill
Aggressive is usually fear or a reaction to body language not being understood. I would step back and give him time to acclimate.

So should i just talk to him from behind the bars and wait a some time before training to get him used to me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So should i just talk to him from behind the bars and wait a some time before training to get him used to me.
Yep :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Try reading to him! It gives you something to really focus on as opposed to just trying to come up with something beyond "Who's a pretty baby?" - Which is what I had a LOT of trouble with, personally, lol. I can't make conversation if it's one sided, but reading is way easier.

Any pics? Princess Parrots are so gorgeous!