• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very interested in the floor

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is new thing, but lately Gigi flies down to the floor and walks around, picking at the carpet and exploring. I shoo her back up right away, but she is really interested. Today I put a sheet down but she still flew down. She stands on the lowest section of her cage, hanging and chortling, and then down she goes. I know it's unsafe and unsanitary! I'm not sure how to discourage her but tomorrow I will try putting a few strange objects around where she explores. Hopefully that won't entice her further. Do your birds like the floor? I'd imagine flightless birds might do this, but Gigi is fully flighted and there are lots of interesting things to explore higher up.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a CAG and allow her to roam around the floor supervised. I know a lot of people might look down on it, but I live alone and am hyper vigilant when I do that. Birds do walk on the ground all of the time in the wild.

I would be paranoid with a small parrot, though. The risks are much higher because they’re so small. Maybe you can make a play area on a table or countertop.

Good luck.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My birds do enjoy exploring the floor - mainly the doves, the budgies and Phoenix don't feel secure on the floor. It's quite a natural thing and I don't think they generally eat bad stuff, though they do pick at anything they find. If you can't allow it then I hope someone can advise on discouraging this behaviour. Maybe offer access to a "second floor" that you can put foraging stuff on for her to play with.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I am interested in this too. My cockatiel does this sometimes, and one of my budgies does this all the time. I'm okay with the budgie, but I would prefer my cockatiel not to. My cockatiel is flighted.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I'm always trying to get jupiter to like flat areas but she really won't do it. if it isn't perchable then she ain't doing it. I think if you put a sheet down it would be okay for her to go on the floor. But I can see what you mean, wouldn't want her to swallow a carpet fiber.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Could you put a sheet down with some acceptable objects, or a tiny playstand? Maybe she'd be happy to be exploring the floor, but on a safer, designated area

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I personally don't let my African Grey on the floor. I get him to step up and put him elsewhere because there are too many cables laying on the floor, I don't find it safe honestly. Observe what your bird finds interesting about the floor and create more enjoyable areas I would say.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK many thanks to all. Gigi has many things to do while out of the cage- a massive double play gym on the coffee table (I switch out toys regularly), shoulder and lap time with me on the sofa and some blankets that she plays with, 2 side chairs that she thinks are super fun lol, and recently I have added many things to the outside of her cage (a seagrass mat with toys, a boing and an orbiter I hang from the open balcony door). She also loves to fly and when encouraged will do many noisy laps around the living room.

I forgot to mention the other reason that the floor bothers me is that we have a berber area rug that has loops and will catch those infamous Linnies curved nails. When she was young and ended up on the floor by mistake she would get caught as she was due for her vet nail clip appointment. But that is solved by using the sheet. I'm torn between putting some things down there that would discourage her or some things that would be fun. Hmm. I wonder if she would like to play in one of those critter fencing things? I could put a sheet down, the fencing on, toys in. Oh my gosh, like this:

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK I think this might be a super fun idea. Gigi is little and not a chewer, but it is pet safe. 3/8" which is larger than her 1/2" cage but I think it's fine And it's small, 36" diameter, just 9" high, designed for hamsters and guinea pigs. It's not that she can't fly out of it, it just might seem like a designated fun area for her. Just another thing to do when she's out. I could put fabric down and some fave toys in it. What do you think? Am I missing something dangerous about this? Or encouraging the floor when I shouldn't? Opinions? I like it so much that I could actually use it on a table if I just should not encourage fun on the floor.

I will also add that like @MnGuy I am super vigilant when Gigi is out of her cage.

Another quick thing to add is that Gigi does spend time on the floor of her cage as well, so it might be a species to species thing whether a bird likes the floor. I guess Linnies do. She's down there right now for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Could you put a sheet down with some acceptable objects, or a tiny playstand? Maybe she'd be happy to be exploring the floor, but on a safer, designated area
This was my thought also: providing a movable play gym on the floor that she can see as the designated play area. The concern I have with that larger bar spacing is that she might get caught in between the bars, no? I'd make sure it's ok before going that route. I think a movable play gym would be good because, once she's on it, you can "sneakily" move it up to higher ground. My conure likes the floor sometimes, but gets bored there quite easily (but it's pergo-type flooring, so nothing to pick at).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My tiels do that and my Quakers have learned to do that from watching the tiels. I call it "the chickens are out" because they wander around picking at invisible things and seed that sun conure Tikki has thrown out of his food bowl. One of the Quakers, Baby Blue, likes it because it gives him a chance to explore my sandals and chew on them as he seems to like the cork soles.