• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very informative Blog from Dr. Scott Echols on ABV/PDD

La Vena :>

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
La Vena Coufal
Please feel free to pm me any time. I would appreciate any information that you have. She has been on the meloxicam for a few months now, and even though it is helping a little...It's by no means fixing it completely. So, I'm hoping that there will be something that will stop if for good. Lolei is going through what you said...Her skin tears there every time she flaps her wings, which makes her pick at it more since I know it's painful. Kind of a vicious circle. Thanks for your help :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Hi...Not sure if I am putting this in the right place or not, since I'm new to this blog. I lost my 8 month old African Grey to PDD (diagnosis was confirmed with samples sent to a pathologist). I have other birds, but the one that is concerning me at the moment is my 4 year old Rose Breasted cockatoo.

Beginning 2 years ago, she started picking under one wing and between her shoulder blades. It was a frantic picking and always in the same spot. I took her to my vet and they didn't see anything and didn't run any tests. She stopped for quite a few months. She started again about a year ago and picked a sore under the wing where it attaches to her body near her back. I took her in (still no tests) and the vet said that it looked like a bacterial skin infection and he kept her for a week to clean the area, give her meds (meloxicam and trimethoprim). I brought her home and continued the meds. It continued, so she is now on meloxicam to stop the inflammation. She is still doing it, but my vet doesn't want to test for ABV because he says that the above are not symptoms of PDD or ABV. From what I have been reading, there are people who have PDD birds that have the exact same symptoms.

I am hoping that Dr. Echols can shed some more light on this. I have 2 very young birds in the living room with her and cannot stand the thought of losing any more of my babies to PDD. Thanks for listening.
Mutilation can be a sign of PDD. At the rescue I volunteered at they had PDD. 2 of the cockatoos mutilated themselves after the outbreak. One under his wing like your bird and one on his stomach. The PDD can attack their nerves and cause them discomfort. That being said, there are many other things that can cause these symptoms. I would take her into UC Davis. They are very experienced in PDD.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
La Vena Coufal
Thanks Allison...That's what I thought as well. I didn't realize I could take her directly to UC Davis. I know they have an excellent veterinary school there where they do lots of research. I think she also needs to be tested for giardia.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Please feel free to pm me any time. I would appreciate any information that you have. She has been on the meloxicam for a few months now, and even though it is helping a little...It's by no means fixing it completely. So, I'm hoping that there will be something that will stop if for good. Lolei is going through what you said...Her skin tears there every time she flaps her wings, which makes her pick at it more since I know it's painful. Kind of a vicious circle. Thanks for your help :)
I can't PM you until you have 20 posts. Please call Dr Speers and ask if your bird could have similar bacteria to an eclectus male he is treating who is FINALLY recovering.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
La Vena Coufal
Oh..I was wondering why when I tried to pm it said I couldn't. Well, now I know :) I will definitely do that. I plan on calling tomorrow as a matter of fact and set an appointment for Friday. I will inquire about the Eclectus as well. Thank you Kathy:)

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
La Vena Coufal
Hi sodakat...I emailed Dr. Speer and asked him about the Eclectus. He told me that the it's case is very different than Lolei'sand that Lolei has a "presumed" bacterial dermatitis diagnosis. He was treating her symptomatically, since she has had no testing. He feels it's now time to do testing, since her problem isn't resolving. I also asked about the possibility of giardia. He said that there is no correlation between feather picking in Galahs and giardia, and it is only loosely documented in cockatiels. So, it looks like the next thing will be some tests tomorrow.