• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very Concerned about Tinkerbell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I got her wings, nails and beak trimmed last Saturday. It was obvious they cut her beak too short. She seems to have some trouble grasping things with it. She is eating though. I have noticed she is having trouble holding on to things with her feet now. She is only standing on one leg most of the time. I looked closer and one of her back toes is extremely short. Could this be why? Because she is scared to use it? I was looking at it and touched it and she didn't seem to want me to touch it. So now I am worried she is hurt. She has fallen in her cage once that I know of because she didn't have a good enough grip on the perch. She also isn't sleeping on her hanging sleep perch. I suspect because she doesn't feel like she can hold on. Any advice? I have left a message for the vet to call me. I feel so bad for her! I have to go to work too! I am going to tell them I may have to leave though. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Melody

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
They may have cut too short. Putting cayenne pepper will help the pain and tenderness. Is there a medical reason to get her beak trimmed? Giving her some soft food may help. Was there any bleeding after the clipping? :sadhug2:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh your poor little Tinkerbell.. :( I don't have any advice for you but I'm sure someone who does will come by quickly.. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Melody beaks should not have to be trimmed as a general rule. Birds generally keep their beaks trimmed by chewing and other things they use their beaks for. As for the nails, birds use their nails to climb, balance etc. It sounds like they cut them too short and are possibly sore. :( I dont trim my birds nails or have them trimmed. If they start getting sharp, I blunt them with an emery board. I have a pedicure perch in all cages and that helps as well.
These are the most effective pedicure perches I have ever had. http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Feet-and-Beak-13003/dp/B000WEA1JE

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I also emery board Ruby's nails. You don't even have to do all in one day, especially while they are getting used to having it done. :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Tinkbell,I hope she feels better soon.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I also emery board Ruby's nails. You don't even have to do all in one day, especially while they are getting used to having it done. :)
I agree on that Marie. On the rare occasion when I have to blunt Carlos' nails, I take him away from his cage because he is more cooperative and I put him on my bed. Sometimes I only get one or two nails done, I praise him and then we go back to his cage. It does take some practice. All my birds nails are long, they should just be blunt so they dont get caught in things and dont scratch people.

Status
Not open for further replies.