• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

VERY clingy 4 month old GCC

nthorne96

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nikki Thorne
I just got a 4 month old Green cheek conure, and I absolutely love her! She is extremely playful, loves to learn eats like a pig (picky eater who?) but I apparently am unable to even leave the room at all without her squawking as if she’s being murdered! I’ve had her less than a week so I know it’s still early days but I have 2 college classes starting in 2 weeks and I’m trying to train her to not squawk every time I leave the room. If anybody has any tips on this, I’m all ears! Here’s a pic too just to see how cute she is:

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First, remember your bird is a baby, and being a baby by themselves is against their instincts. Their survival in the wild would depend on following their flock learning how to bird. So, that's your job! ;)

It sounds crazy but When you leave the room you can let her know "I'll be right back!" Or some other phrase when you will return shortly. Maybe have a different one if you will be gone a stretch of time. You can also call back with a more pleasing sound, like a whistle. Additionally, leaving white noise or a radio on in the room she's in will help, as silence can equal "danger"!

Also remember that it's only been a week and she is still learning your routine. The more she gets to understand that routine, the easier it will be for both of you :)

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
I just got a 4 month old Green cheek conure, and I absolutely love her! She is extremely playful, loves to learn eats like a pig (picky eater who?) but I apparently am unable to even leave the room at all without her squawking as if she’s being murdered! I’ve had her less than a week so I know it’s still early days but I have 2 college classes starting in 2 weeks and I’m trying to train her to not squawk every time I leave the room. If anybody has any tips on this, I’m all ears! Here’s a pic too just to see how cute she is:
Hi... she is indeed cute. I have a male, slightly younger than yours, so i am learning about this too. I put lots of fun stuff in his cage, which can help too. He loves his boing and now has a cargo net he likes. I am monitoring him carefully to make sure it's actually safe for him. If i give him a new toy that has any degree of complexity i take it out while i am out of my apartment, because i can't closely monitor his adventures. That said i bought a couple of webcams so i can contact my wife if he gets into strife. I have other birds too so there's rarely silence. I am trying to get a better sleep routine sorted for him too, because in the evening he flies (heh) into apoplectic rages if anyone ventures near his cage or even makes a sound. He vacillates between wanting "dad time" and "morning me before coffee", though again the toys in his cage help a lot. I adopted him here in China, and his name, Sunny, derives from the Chinese name for conures. A word meaning "moody agent of chaos" may have been more appropriate. I do love his naughty energy and he is beautiful (as is yours). He is also very happy to try new foods, gladly gobbles up both pellets and chop, and if he isn't in meltdown mode will step up.
IMG_20220802_095634.jpg

nthorne96

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nikki Thorne
Your bird is so cute
Hi... she is indeed cute. I have a male, slightly younger than yours, so i am learning about this too. I put lots of fun stuff in his cage, which can help too. He loves his boing and now has a cargo net he likes. I am monitoring him carefully to make sure it's actually safe for him. If i give him a new toy that has any degree of complexity i take it out while i am out of my apartment, because i can't closely monitor his adventures. That said i bought a couple of webcams so i can contact my wife if he gets into strife. I have other birds too so there's rarely silence. I am trying to get a better sleep routine sorted for him too, because in the evening he flies (heh) into apoplectic rages if anyone ventures near his cage or even makes a sound. He vacillates between wanting "dad time" and "morning me before coffee", though again the toys in his cage help a lot. I adopted him here in China, and his name, Sunny, derives from the Chinese name for conures. A word meaning "moody agent of chaos" may have been more appropriate. I do love his naughty energy and he is beautiful (as is yours). He is also very happy to try new foods, gladly gobbles up both pellets and chop, and if he isn't in meltdown mode will step up
Hi... she is indeed cute. I have a male, slightly younger than yours, so i am learning about this too. I put lots of fun stuff in his cage, which can help too. He loves his boing and now has a cargo net he likes. I am monitoring him carefully to make sure it's actually safe for him. If i give him a new toy that has any degree of complexity i take it out while i am out of my apartment, because i can't closely monitor his adventures. That said i bought a couple of webcams so i can contact my wife if he gets into strife. I have other birds too so there's rarely silence. I am trying to get a better sleep routine sorted for him too, because in the evening he flies (heh) into apoplectic rages if anyone ventures near his cage or even makes a sound. He vacillates between wanting "dad time" and "morning me before coffee", though again the toys in his cage help a lot. I adopted him here in China, and his name, Sunny, derives from the Chinese name for conures. A word meaning "moody agent of chaos" may have been more appropriate. I do love his naughty energy and he is beautiful (as is yours). He is also very happy to try new foods, gladly gobbles up both pellets and chop, and if he isn't in meltdown mode will step up.
View attachment 411333
your bird is so cute!
Gothy has plenty of toys (2 mirror toys 3 bells a swing and a few wood block chew toys) so she definitely has a lot to play with (I spoiled her with all the toys) plus she has her shredded lettuce plus her seed food too, plus the occasional fruit treat too. She has plenty to keep herself occupied but yet I literally can’t leave the room without her acting almost terrified of being alone. She HATES being covered as well, I swear she gives herself a panic attack over it. The minute she’s in my hands/lap/shoulder though she’s as good as gold (aside from trying to nibble my necklace lol). If she’s on my shoulder cuddling or about to nap she’ll chirp softly until she falls asleep, it’s cute.