• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Venting about ventilation

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have my niece and 2 toddlers temporarily living with me. Niece is pretty good with the bird except about air quality. I’ve flat out tossed essential oil defusers that she thought were ok because they were on the other side of the house.
House has garage on one end, Louise in the middle, and bedrooms on far end. I jumped straight out of bed tonight because I could smell something... turned out she was running her car in the garage with the garage door half open-while trying to clean the car’s carpet with heavily perfumed cleaner. That pushed all those fumes into the house. I quickly opened windows by Louise, made neice move and shut off the car to fully vent garage. For some reason, the original owners of the house had a huge ceiling exhaust fan installed. Sounds like a jet engine and you can literally see foofies fly through the air and out the vent. Almost strong enough to lift a chihuahua if it were standing under it. It was able to air the house out quickly. The exhaust fan is ridiculously strong, I was glad for that tonight.
Louise seems fine but I am still worried and unable to sleep. I am worried that any damage to her respiratory system won’t be immediately apparent. The only positive is that the dangers of air quality may have gotten through to my niece.
Seems like a few days ago, someone posted good info and a picture about a birds respiratory system. I found it on Google and sent it to my niece. Thank you to who ever posted that.

*also glad the toddlers were at their dad’s tonight....

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've been where you are soooooo many times.

So many goofy things, years ago my daughter-in-law brought in nail polish in the room where the amazons are, returning home to smoke from food, and on and on....

Even hubby occasionally forgets.

I try to stay alert when relatives are in the house.

Peko'smom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Nina Krasinski
I have a question about paint. The hall wall outside the bird room door need painting. Is there a paint that's safe to use near them?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I don't know about paint. Personally, I would have my bird stay with a friend who also has an African grey. They have painted several times with the bird in their home. Guessing a low voc? The spouse paints for a living...
There is another thread that is active on this topic and would have more info. Latex Paint Around My Bird

Peko'smom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Nina Krasinski
Thank you, SL! I really appreciate it. I've really been worried about it and the wall is in terrible shape because I've been afraid to do anything to it.