• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

veggie suggestions

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
my gcc is very very very picky my past big birds were never too picky about their fresh foods and let me add everything they needed nutritionally as long as there was a little seed chia sprinkled on the top, but my gcc only likes raspberries, i don’t know what it is abt raspberries that she loves, lately i’ve been doing a chia, grain, dandelion green, kale, broccoli, carrot, squash, raspberry, banana mash that she eats, the fruit makes the veg stick together and forced her to eat it lol :p but i’m making lots of progress, does anyone know any good recipes maybe w calming herbs or any semi sweet veg that makes birds more inclined to eat?

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Does your gcc like birdie bread? If so, that's a good way to sneak veggies into their diet. Patience and persistence is the key!! I once had a budgie who took 2 years to start eating veggies....

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
One cheat to encourage birds to think veggies are awesome: I cut around the top of a pepper (I use bell peppers and then I eat the rest of it) and pull out and give them the seedy heart with a fringe of the flesh of the pepper around it. Apparently fresh seeds are the best seeds, and that encourages them to give a nibble to the rest of it.

Full disclosure, my birds came liking veggies, so I'm no expert, but this is their absolute favorite in the rotation.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Does your gcc like birdie bread? If so, that's a good way to sneak veggies into their diet. Patience and persistence is the key!! I once had a budgie who took 2 years to start eating veggies....
i will continue to persist! my macaws were just way easier to have try new things i’m not used to the fuss HAHA, that sounds like a great idea though, she likes the harrison’s bird bread mix, maybe i could mix with that?

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
One cheat to encourage birds to think veggies are awesome: I cut around the top of a pepper (I use bell peppers and then I eat the rest of it) and pull out and give them the seedy heart with a fringe of the flesh of the pepper around it. Apparently fresh seeds are the best seeds, and that encourages them to give a nibble to the rest of it.

Full disclosure, my birds came liking veggies, so I'm no expert, but this is their absolute favorite in the rotation.
THATS A GREAT IDEA, i’m definitely gonna try this!