• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vegetables

feathers05

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
Hello, my african grey is 14 weeks old.
I can't get her to eat vegetables. I have contacted the breeder, she gave me a list of her favorites. She's not eating her favorite vegetables or fruits. I've tried everything from making chop, to diced, to mush, to chunky, to solid pieces to figured out what she likes. She just looks at it, takes a nibble and walks away.
She wasn't eating the pellets the breeder recommended either. I hand fed her pellets then introduced the bowl with pellets. She eats pellets frequently now. The one thing that stood out to me when I picked her up, the breeder said make sure to give her almonds in the morning and at night.
I'm noticing in my home, almonds is all she prefers. I feel like I need to try and get her off the almonds, isnt that too much of a fat content? Suppose to be in moderation?
Any suggestions on trying to get her on vegetables and fruits would be great.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Being a baby she might prefer some warm mushy veggies. You could try some warm mashed pumpkin or sweet potato (Burt used to love them with a dusting of cinnamon when he was a baby) and maybe try feed her from a spoon or off your fingers.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Are you sure the breeder said your guy was eating this stuff before, or maybe insead, they’re recommendations of the BREEDER’S favorites to feed the bird?

It’s highly unusual for a bird to suddenly be turned off to its favorite foods, unless s/he’s going through a rough adjustment/new home situation period, or sick. And I doubt s/he’s sick.

How is s/he behaving otherwise?

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Also, don’t expect to put the food there and expect him to immediately go at it, and say “Thanks, Mom!”

Putting aside the “dangers” of leaving fresh stuff in their cups for too long...bacteria growth, but I don’t get an ulcer worrying about this...a bird isn’t going to necessarily jump into his food, even his favorite food, when you first offer it. Could be an hour or two later. Even longer.

feathers05

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
I think the breeder may of been lying. I did question the breeder on favorite foods, yet here she is barely interested in those foods. She will not touch solid foods.
I managed to get her on mushy foods a bit.
Yet she screams for almonds. I had a sneaky suspicion when the breeder said make sure to give her almonds.
Come to learn, its pratically all she wants.
I blend in almonds in the mush to get her to eat. She defiantly likes to refuse in hopes of full almonds.
I just keep trying through out the day, offering foods and mush. She took awhile to learn how to eat pellets too.

Maggiebird

Real Name
Sally
Like @feathers05 said the breeder might be lying. Don’t give her vegetables and expect her to like them right from the start it takes time and I wouldn’t feed her almonds if she loves them way to much. Maybe occasionally but not every day.

feathers05

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
Like @feathers05 said the breeder might be lying. Don’t give her vegetables and expect her to like them right from the start it takes time and I wouldn’t feed her almonds if she loves them way to much. Maybe occasionally but not every day.
Thanks. The rest is good, she is healthy and fun. She stays busy with toys and repeats sounds. Loves her gentle showers and mist. Mama just wants her to eat foods! lol.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Did you try eating (whatever she's supposed to eat) with her?
When Loki wasn't interested in eating something, I would eat it in front of him, thoroughly enjoying it :roflmao:. For foods I really needed him to eat, I would pretend I'm not sharing even. But would "forget"a piece in his reach for him to steal... Stolen food tastes best apparently.
And don't even get me started on pistachios.. we would eat them almost every single night, Loki would just open them for me. Until one day he decided he likes them. I guess it's an acquired taste, as is broccoli..

This thread also has some really cool tips and trick to a healthier diet:

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I gave my guy Aloe today for the first time! He loved it!

Have you tried baby carrots, green beans, beets, or zucchini/squash?

Manuel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manuel
Joey hates vegetables too, so I give to him in the morning because he always wakes up very hungry,