• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vegetables, homemade seed mix and eggs for my budgie?

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I’m getting my first budgie tomorrow. I’ve been getting prepared for about three weeks. There is only one thing i’m not sure i got right: healthy eating.

After alot of research, I made my own mix using organic seeds. I’m looking for feedback and making sure so i will share my recipe:

50% :

1/2 cup amaranth

1/2 cup red hard wheat

1/4 cup buckwheat

1/4 cup rye

1/2 cup sprouted daikon radish seeds

25% :

1/4 cup black chia

1/4 cup white chia

1/4 cup fennel seeds

1/4 cup black mustard seeds

10-15% :

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

10-15 % :

The millet spray as treats when taming and training

i bought red lentils, but I find it unnatural to serve cooked foods to my budgie. Any opinions on that?

I also made veggie chop that will make up for 50% of what i feed my bird. I used different colors to make it as nutritious as possible, and will change the recipe next time i make it. I made a big batch and frooze about ten little bags containing 2-3 portions each (Not sure about that yet, i’ll have to get used to the right portions). Again, i’m giving you my recipe:

5 medium sized carrots, peeled
1 medium sized beet root, peeled
1 cup broccoli
1 cup purple cabbage
1 cup cauliflower
1/2 cup cilantro and basil
1/2 cup ginger, grated

Then there’s the hard part: protein. I find it wierd that small parrots eat chicken eggs, but ok. I will feed it little portions of hard boiled organic free range eggs twice a week like suggested by many, many sources. Shouldn’t they get more protein and amino acids? Should i buy dried mealworms or will the eggs and the occasional red lentils be enough?
I am not a fan of pellets, i have a cuttlebone in the cage for calcium and enough colorful veggies and seed varieties for vitamins. I’m still wondering if it’s a mistake not to buy sugary soy based commercial pellets as it is the « healthy » norm. Let me know what you think of that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You will definitely need to cook your lentils (and sweet potatoes) before serving.
You can also serve things like chick peas (cooked or sprouted) or tofu for protein.
I believe dried mealworms are not really overly nutritious- nothing like they are when fresh!
Unless you’re absolutely totally knowledgeable on diet requirements and balancing those needs I suggest you get on the pellet train! All the possible nutritional gaps are basically filled in by the addition of pellets. There are so many brands of pellets that you can avoid the ones with higher amounts of sugar etc. if you choose.
My budgie never gets sunflower seed... they’re too hard for him to open anyhow and they’re very fatty and almost addictive to many many birds. Best kept for training treats really.

You will want to find out your budgies current diet and you’ll honestly be best to keep him on that diet and then slowly transition to the diet you’d prefer once he’s settled in.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the avenue! I'm not a diet expert, but can't wait to see pics of your new buddy. :)

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
@Shezbug Thank you for your answer! I will try chickpeas! I will shop for the best pellets, it seems that It’s a good idea to let them settle in before i try changing their diet, i was a little worried about that too. I think the breeder is giving them sprouts already so that’s great! As for the sunflower seeds, it is very good to know and i will pick them out before serving.

@Sparkles99 Thank you!! I will post a picture of my new bird Pastel tomorrow:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You will definitely need to cook your lentils (and sweet potatoes) before serving.
For sure.
My lovebirds enjoy sprouted lentils. Maybe you could try that and see how they prefer them :)

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Kudos to you for doing your homework but don't get discouraged if it takes your budgie time to actually try veggies. Don't forget to try some sprays of kale, lettuce leaves or carrot greens clipped to the side of the cage. Some budgies like nibbling on wet greens this way. ;) I'd also loose the sunflower seeds.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
@Zara I tried sprouting my lentils but they are obviously dead... I might order some on amazon soon though:) Thanks for the advice!

@Lori D Pert It's a great idea to use leaves as kind of a forging toy to get them used to it, I will definitely try that. thank you!

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Sounds delish! Just be sure to slowly introduce your bird to their new diet. It can be stressful to have a big change in environment and diet at the same time.

Not that you need to add any seeds but my budgies also love canary grass seeds and oat goats. They also love love love kale and pea shoots so maybe you can try adding those to your next batch of chop. My budgies hate hardboiled eggs and lentils so I'm still looking for the right protein (maybe tofu).

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Sounds delish! Just be sure to slowly introduce your bird to their new diet. It can be stressful to have a big change in environment and diet at the same time.

Not that you need to add any seeds but my budgies also love canary grass seeds and oat goats. They also love love love kale and pea shoots so maybe you can try adding those to your next batch of chop. My budgies hate hardboiled eggs and lentils so I'm still looking for the right protein (maybe tofu).
Thanks! I will let him eat like he normally does the first week I think, then if he does not like eggs or lentils or even chickpeas I don't know what I'll do! Do yours eat pellets? Seeds to sprout are kinda hard to find in Montreal, but it's good to know. Maybe he will hate radish seeds too! I'm getting him/her today and I'm so excited!!!!

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I'm so excites for you! Would love to see photos when you get him :D

I would actually transition the food more slowly. So week 1 same food, week 2 some change, week 3 more seed change + some chop, etc. Just to make it easier on his stomach.

You can sprout the seed you're using in his seed mix. I sprout Hagens budgie seed and they love it! It also smells really good. But if you want to buy sprouting seeds, you can try ...

I feed my guys Harrison's super fine. They aren't big fans but are slowly eating some of it. I may try Roudybush next but I find it hard to find good pellets in Canadian stores (to avoid shipping costs).

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cuttlebone isn't a good source of calcium for animals. While it does contain calcium, the calcium in it isn't very bioavailable and it's very hard for animals to make use of it.

If you feed sprouts, make sure the seeds and lentils are whole and have the germ. This isn't present in split red lentils which is why those won't sprout.

I'd be concerned about calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin A in that diet (and potentially others, like B group vitamins). You can provide vitamin A through feeding orange vegetables, especially things like butternut squash, as long as the bird(s) actually eat enough of it. Calcium can be supplied through feeding powdered eggshells and I believe egg yolk contains vitamin D. However, if you're very against feeding pellets, I would advise getting a good vitamin and mineral supplement and feeding a pinch sprinkled on fresh food. This will fill in any nutritional gaps.

This would be my choice of product: Avimix - vitamin supplement for bids

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a comprehensive list of pellets that are available on the market. You can easily find several that don't contain sugar or dyes and are complete foods with all required vitamins and minerals.

My favorites are Harrison's, Roudybush and Tropican. Tops, although they say they have vitamin D3, do not have sufficient to satisfy your bird's requirements.

Pellets for Parrots

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
I'm so excites for you! Would love to see photos when you get him :D

I would actually transition the food more slowly. So week 1 same food, week 2 some change, week 3 more seed change + some chop, etc. Just to make it easier on his stomach.

You can sprout the seed you're using in his seed mix. I sprout Hagens budgie seed and they love it! It also smells really good. But if you want to buy sprouting seeds, you can try ...

I feed my guys Harrison's super fine. They aren't big fans but are slowly eating some of it. I may try Roudybush next but I find it hard to find good pellets in Canadian stores (to avoid shipping costs).
I just brought him home! She (or he, I don't know yet so I will interchange the pronouns) is staying in the same spot, clicking the beak, breathing hard and looks so scared... I know it's normal but it makes me sad that she's going through this much stress.

I bought the seed mix the store was feeding him (Prestige Versele-Laga for budgies). The guy also gave me an egg food (CéDé) mix that my bird is used to, but there's sugar in it so I will do as you suggest and give it for a week, then mix it the next week!

I will wait until he is a little more settled in to take pictures, I don't want to immortalize this weird moment...

Thanks for the advice:)

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Cuttlebone isn't a good source of calcium for animals. While it does contain calcium, the calcium in it isn't very bioavailable and it's very hard for animals to make use of it.

If you feed sprouts, make sure the seeds and lentils are whole and have the germ. This isn't present in split red lentils which is why those won't sprout.

I'd be concerned about calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin A in that diet (and potentially others, like B group vitamins). You can provide vitamin A through feeding orange vegetables, especially things like butternut squash, as long as the bird(s) actually eat enough of it. Calcium can be supplied through feeding powdered eggshells and I believe egg yolk contains vitamin D. However, if you're very against feeding pellets, I would advise getting a good vitamin and mineral supplement and feeding a pinch sprinkled on fresh food. This will fill in any nutritional gaps.

This would be my choice of product: Avimix - vitamin supplement for bids
I will wait until I see the vet (in about a month) to ask for the supplements since the transition will be slower than I thought and when I get our appointment she will just be stating to eat the healthy stuff, but it's very good to know that cuttlebone is not as great as I thought.. Thanks!

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Here is a comprehensive list of pellets that are available on the market. You can easily find several that don't contain sugar or dyes and are complete foods with all required vitamins and minerals.

My favorites are Harrison's, Roudybush and Tropican. Tops, although they say they have vitamin D3, do not have sufficient to satisfy your bird's requirements.

Pellets for Parrots
Thank you!! I will check that out

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The versele-laga and Cede are top notch. Good choices there.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I just brought him home! She (or he, I don't know yet so I will interchange the pronouns) is staying in the same spot, clicking the beak, breathing hard and looks so scared... I know it's normal but it makes me sad that she's going through this much stress.

I bought the seed mix the store was feeding him (Prestige Versele-Laga for budgies). The guy also gave me an egg food (CéDé) mix that my bird is used to, but there's sugar in it so I will do as you suggest and give it for a week, then mix it the next week!

I will wait until he is a little more settled in to take pictures, I don't want to immortalize this weird moment...

Thanks for the advice:)
Aw, yes - it's a very scary for a bird coming home for the first time. S/he will settle in in no time :) I use egg food too since my birds don't like real eggs. Mine doesn't have sugar but smells like candy.