• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vegetable Tanned Leather - how to condition, clean ?

human78

Moving in
Hi all, just signed up :) Couldn't find what i'm seeking via the search. Planning on making a cozy/mat with veg-tanned leather, and hoping for advice.

Any suggestions for bird-safe leather conditioners? Is Olive Oil okay? I read olives are not good for parrots, but that olive oil is maybe safe? Is conditioning really necessary at all? Want to put a simple "mat" in front of his favourite warm spot, in front of a K&H bird warmer. I don't expect him to poop on it much, but i'd like it to last, and to be able to clean it occasionally.

As for cleaning this type of leather, is apple cider vinegar okay? Alternate suggestions?

(Sidenote/intro) Been a bird lover for a while, and recently adopted my friend's 2-year old male peachface (grey) lovebird. He's very happy in his new home. Been busily making my place bird-safe, making him a variety of perches, toys etc, and researching bird-safe materials in the process.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Just be sure it is from a reputable source. Under the "Right to Know" law you can request an SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for anything sold in the US. This data has to contain any and all chemicals used to process the leather. Most vegetable tanned leather imported into the US contains formaldehyde to preserve the leather and prevent mold and mildew during shipment. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen to humans and animals. The off gassing would be very harmful to your bird.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leather is porous, so you can't make it totally water proof. I found this site that explains how to make a beeswax cream from olive oil & beeswax:

human78

Moving in
Leather is porous, so you can't make it totally water proof. I found this site that explains how to make a beeswax cream from olive oil & beeswax:
Yes, this sounds like what i was looking for, thank you. Bookmarked for future reference!

human78

Moving in
Most vegetable tanned leather imported into the US contains formaldehyde to preserve the leather and prevent mold and mildew during shipment. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen to humans and animals. The off gassing would be very harmful to your bird.
AHA - this is VERY good to know, thank you. Now to find a North American online supplier (who ships to Canada). If you have any leads please let me know :)

human78

Moving in
Buy your leather from a bird store and don't treat it with anything. Also, don't put a ton of work in it so it's tossable once dirty and you can replace it. ;)
Yup, good advice :) Unfortunately i'm having no luck sourcing this leather locally (Canada, Westcoast). Same for online. I can find pre-made leather bird stuff, and strips. Just need an 8x10ish piece. Any online sources you can recommend?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You didn't state your location in Canada, however there are a few Tandy leather suppliers in western Canada.

Tandy has vegetable-tanned leather. They have a "Tooling Leather Piece". Item #4033-08. It's 8.5 inches Wide x 11 inches Long. Price: C$17.59. Don't know what shipping would cost. I assume this would be big enough for your project. Tooling Leather Piece

If not they have sides. You can call them & ask if they have any remnants in the size you need. Keep in mind of the thickness too. The higher the weight in ounces the thicker the leather will be.This page explains how to buy leather & how it is graded: Leather Buying Guide - Tandy Leather

There are probably other leather suppliers in Canada. If you Google you'll find them.

human78

Moving in
You didn't state your location in Canada, however there are a few Tandy leather suppliers in western Canada.

Tandy has vegetable-tanned leather. They have a "Tooling Leather Piece". Item #4033-08. It's 8.5 inches Wide x 11 inches Long. Price: C$17.59. Don't know what shipping would cost. I assume this would be big enough for your project. Tooling Leather Piece
There are probably other leather suppliers in Canada. If you Google you'll find them.
BINGO! That "tooling" piece is just perfect. Funny enough, by Googling i only found a few pet supply sites that sold smaller bits. I'm vegan, so i would never buy leather otherwise, so i had no idea where to look. Looks like i came to the right place for advice :) Many thanks.