• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa with other pets

scottcli

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone know if Vasa Parrot's if kept in another room are okay with guinea pigs with open cages. I know they can be issues with mice and small rodents sometimes they go after, but my guinea pigs are all ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 pounds each and average about a foot long.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
There are a couple issues with keeping guinea pigs around parrots. The pigs should not be any threat to the bird, but large parrots can do a lot of damage with their beaks. Even a single bite could result in a guinea pig losing an eye or worse. Also, there is some danger of disease transmission if the guinea pigs are exposed to bird droppings - like if the parrot was allowed to free fly in the same room and pooped into the open enclosure. Loud bird noises and the sight of a large bird passing over them would also be stressful for the pigs, but they can probably adjust to that over time.

If they are being kept in a different room with minimal contact, I see no problem. But if you allow the parrot in the guinea pig room, you will need to be very vigilant to watch for any signs of aggression or too much curiosity from the parrot and be sure to clean up any poop immediately.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Scott :starshower1:

I would not leave them all unattended in the same room. Best to keep them separate.