• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa smell?

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
To the other owners of vasas, do your vasas smell different than your other parrots? Parrots seem to have a fairly general bird smell, but Dawkins smells different.

Also do they get very "fluffy" while molting? I swear he has lost more feathers in a month than Shadow in 3 years and he looks like I put him in a dryer.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, I have noticed the scent and it is a pleasant one. I haven't noticed Pet with a real heavy molt but he sure takes tons of baths in whatever dish is lying around.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Different birds have different scents.
No grey I've ever been around has had the same scent of my ex-BFA.
Ink (IRN) has a vaguely fruity and a bit of a dusty scent.
Covsky (BFA) had a very...fruity one and somehow a little forest-y.
And then there was this little WCP I held once at a shop and though smaller than Covsky, her scent seemed so much stronger. And much more fruity/floral.

So far BFAs and WCPs have had the strongest scent of any parrot I've met/handeld.
I don't smell much on many parrots I meet. The macaws and cockatoos and greys, other than their dust and often peanut breath from the food they are given at the shop I go to. I assume their scent is just much more subtle than the things that linger on them.
Someone once told me that her cockatiels has a "clean, fresh" scent that was somehow also dusty.

Parrot scents are hard to explain. :shifty:

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
I don't have the best sense if smell. Years of allergies left me a very damaged sniffer, but all other birds from dove to 'too smell the same to me. Like a bird store. I dont know why I smell them... :roflmao:

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't have the best sense if smell. Years of allergies left me a very damaged sniffer, but all other birds from dove to 'too smell the same to me. Like a bird store. I dont know why I smell them... :roflmao:
Try to sniff an amazon or pionus, sometime. :p
I don't think anyone could fail to notice the scent of that little baby WCP I met!

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Vasa's to my knowledge do not produce a musk when excited like zons and most South american parrots. African parrots do have their own light sent. Vasa's for me smell like what you feed them. Those moist mouths carry good or bad breath. As for their bodies, they are not dusty at all, or shouldn't be. Eve's always smells clean, but vasa's really should be daily bathers, especially during breeding season. Eve baths daily sometimes twice a day or more in the summer, all on his own too.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Pet always smells clean. The scent she has is not a musk scent. It is a lighter fresher type of scent that I am having a hard time describing. My all time favorite scent though is that of a Blue and Gold!

As far as bathes go, no water dish is safe. Pet has even visited other cages and bathed in their water dishes!

I love reading Eve's stories and know you have had him a long time. Wonder what this scent is that I am smelling.

Last edited:

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
vasa's love their bathes! thanks!