• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa pair at rescue in RI

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they find the perfect home :fairy:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Have we got any members out that way we could tag? Even if they can't adopt them they may know someone who can. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hope these guys find a great home. My vet spent a couple of weeks on Madagascar last year, doing volunteer vet work and he said there are very few of them left. Probably one of the species that need to be bred to replace the wild ones some day.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope these guys find a great home. My vet spent a couple of weeks on Madagascar last year, doing volunteer vet work and he said there are very few of them left. Probably one of the species that need to be bred to replace the wild ones some day.
That's so unfortunate. I remember reading an article a little while ago saying that within the next 40-50 years, the species will probably be extinct in the wild. :grumpy:

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
Best wishes on placing them together. I do hope they get to stay together but Just curious? Since they are a pair, what happens if they are adopted out together and they want to breed come the season and vasa do make obvious changes when they are of age and are hormonally ready...Is this rescue anti breeding or will they let nature take its course with whomever they are placed? They were obviously being set up as breeders when they were confiscated and living in deplorable conditions. I hope them only the best and a wonderful life. I also don’t mean to ruffle anyone’s feathers in my curiosity. Vasa homes are diminishing as they are loosing habitat and they are also looked as crop pests and even hunted for food. Vasa Parrot - Birds • Newquay Zoo

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Funny you mentioned breeding. Since vases have multiple males to one female in the wild, I was going to tease that @Brittany0208 might have room for the pair. ;) Lenore + Poe + Java makes 3! Could make quite the happy family.
:dance3::dance55::dance3:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wonder why they've been there for so long if they're so difficult to find.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funny you mentioned breeding. Since vases have multiple males to one female in the wild, I was going to tease that @Brittany0208 might have room for the pair. ;) Lenore + Poe + Java makes 3! Could make quite the happy family.
:dance3::dance55::dance3:
Oh no, Java is retired lol I have enough trouble with one bird, let alone 3 :lol:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wow. I hope they find a good home soon.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I’ve been wondering about breeding... the rescue discourages all breeding and does not adopt to people who will breed them... but they are CRAZY rare and it seems like a good way to keep the species from disappearing in captivity (and in turn a good safety net for wild populations, though hopefully it will never get that bad!)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Going to be hard to find them a soft landing.