• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa life expectancy and diet

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
Does anyone have any reliable figures for Vasas' life expectancy? I have found a max in captivity, but not an average or really an insight from owners. The oldest record I found was ~53 years, with some questionable sources saying average to be 30. It would be great to see your guys' data on this topic.

Also, I thought I would ask what everyone's daily diet is for their Vasas. Right now I'm trying to get my Obi monster on a healthier diet based on ecological studies, but I think it would interesting to see what everyone else does.

Thank you in advance c:

LizandShadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
liz
30+ is currently the best estimate we have. They haven't been in the pet trade long enough to have enough captive babies reach old age and die. While we are getting better at their diets we are a long way from knowing it well and replicating it well in captivity. Like ekkies (30-50), this will bring down their average life span so I doubt they will ever exceed the 50 year average. I hope that as we learn more about their diet and have captive bred babies their lifespans will bump up to 50 like a greys. They are closer related to parrots with more moderate life spans, but so distant they may not have much of the ridiculous life span we've come to love from other parrots. Only time and growing popularity will tell.

Dawkins does not get a consistent diet. For pellets he gets roudybush which is always in his bowl. Everyday he gets something tossed in his fruit and veggie cup, but it varies from anything like bean soup to some bokchoy :roflmao: Occasionally I make an effort to get him chicken, more often he gets egg, this along with things like cereal, chips, banana ect. These are tossed in a hanging treat basket each of the birds have. I'd like to make an effort to make egg a staple in his daily veggies. I can only get Dawkins to step up if I give him a pumpkin seed, so he gets those often.

I will say this, while he is a nervous bird he takes all new foods in stride, often with demand. That little fluff ball can eat! He will try anything. However he eats very, VERY slowly.
Anyone elses vasa taste test for several minutes each bite? I've had him store bites of food under his tongue too.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Anyone elses vasa taste test for several minutes each bite? I've had him store bites of food under his tongue too.

That is very interesting. I've seen a baby do that with a weaning pellet.

CoracopsisVasa080920-41.jpg

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
30+ is currently the best estimate we have. They haven't been in the pet trade long enough to have enough captive babies reach old age and die. While we are getting better at their diets we are a long way from knowing it well and replicating it well in captivity. Like ekkies (30-50), this will bring down their average life span so I doubt they will ever exceed the 50 year average. I hope that as we learn more about their diet and have captive bred babies their lifespans will bump up to 50 like a greys. They are closer related to parrots with more moderate life spans, but so distant they may not have much of the ridiculous life span we've come to love from other parrots. Only time and growing popularity will tell.

Dawkins does not get a consistent diet. For pellets he gets roudybush which is always in his bowl. Everyday he gets something tossed in his fruit and veggie cup, but it varies from anything like bean soup to some bokchoy :roflmao: Occasionally I make an effort to get him chicken, more often he gets egg, this along with things like cereal, chips, banana ect. These are tossed in a hanging treat basket each of the birds have. I'd like to make an effort to make egg a staple in his daily veggies. I can only get Dawkins to step up if I give him a pumpkin seed, so he gets those often.

I will say this, while he is a nervous bird he takes all new foods in stride, often with demand. That little fluff ball can eat! He will try anything. However he eats very, VERY slowly.
Obi is extremely picky, unfortunately, and does take to new foods well. It has taken a lot of effort to get him to eat stuff that isn't just seeds and pellets, but it's going well now. However, he does take forever to eat, and will hold food in his mouth as well.

fishbait

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kirk
Our Iggy is not very picky. We also feed him Roudy Bush pellets and a mixture of seeds. he also gets egg Whites when we have eggs and also chicken. on weekends I generally feed him vegetables and fruits. almonds are his favorite but he does not seem to like raw pumpkin seeds & he Is not fond of pellets.

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As for vasas keeping food in their mouths for awhile. Their salivary glands are a bit further up than most/all parrots. This is why they can have some pretty bad breath. (some owners feed mint leaves every once in awhile because of it)
So I think it's probably that the birds are just getting all the enzymes and such working. But that's just a guess.

Vasas also seem to be fairly into making spit balls.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
As for vasas keeping food in their mouths for awhile. Their salivary glands are a bit further up than most/all parrots. This is why they can have some pretty bad breath. (some owners feed mint leaves every once in awhile because of it)
So I think it's probably that the birds are just getting all the enzymes and such working. But that's just a guess.

Vasas also seem to be fairly into making spit balls.
You my dear are quite smart.

Petoskey love loves food. Any thing any time. 3 parrots at this time and each are piggies with eating. Ekkies love food. Scarlets can be picky but mine eats everything.

I do provide protein at least a couple of times a week. When Ihad the sugar glider she would steal meal worms. She now eats chicken or other meats available. She eats fruits and veggies like the ekkie. She adores certain nuts.

My food comes from MSBS To that I might throw in some oatmeal, sweet potato, I hang things such as bok choy from a toy on the playstand. Not all food is plentiful all year round. I feed my birds that way also. I go to the farmers market and buy what is available at the time supplemented with other foods when seasonal items are low in my area.

Last edited: