• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacuum = Bath

Does your bird bathe when you run the vacuum?

• Total voters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Does anyone else's parrot take a bath every time they hear the vacuum cleaner. Lada's (Eckie) parront warned me about this. She said, every time she runs the vacuum, all her birds including Lada all take a bath (or pretend to take a bath) when they hear a vacuum. Does this happen to anyone else or is this a behavior that has developed inside Lada's real home and now all the birds of that home do it? If lots of people experience this, I wonder what causes it. I don't yet have a hypothesis for this behavior. I have seen Lada do it several times now since she has been staying with me. Its soooooooo funny.

Thanks!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara just gets upset when we break out the vacuum tbh

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The quakers, no. But my conure and hahns macaw both were vacuum bathers. The theory is that the rumble of the vacuum activates some sort of instinct to bathe during thunderstorms.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
That is super interesting. I vacuum the birds' room every day and wipe down the walls and cages. They just stare at me as if I were intruding on a party I wasn't invited to. Mine bathe in the morning or in the afternoon when I take them outside in the sun. Otherwise, no baths with vacuuming. Not yet anyway!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Mine sometimes do. Quack and Tiki are the ones I've seen doing it.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp just chatters a lot to the vacuum. He doesn't do baths, and if I try to shower him he stares at me like I just sold his first-born child. He also likes to chatter if it rains/storms and when he hears running water.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My lovies either bathe or go crazy practicing their noises, my Tiel would sing but afterward he would be okay with a spray bath:)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have one or two that will bathe, but the rest don't.

Running a vacuum changes the atmospheric pressure, like a storm would, which triggers some birds to bathe. This has been my theory/belief. Trying to find an image and I come across this... lol

http://slideplayer.com/slide/140008...sure+inside,+air+rushes+into+the+tornado..jpg

I've had people think I was crazy for recommending running the vacuum as one method of getting a bird to bathe... but they tried it... and it worked! :lol: