• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vaccination in birds

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I saw in one of the vet clinics where they gave vaccinations to birds for new castle disease and infectious bursiti (ND and IB). They also told me that booster shots are given after every 6 months. I am unsure about it being necessary for my cockatiel. Has someone here gotten their birds vaccinated ever? If yes, what are the after effects that can be expected after the vaccine dose? Also, is it okay if I don’t get my bird vaccinated at all?

Jogging around the block
I would tell you to stay away from any bird vaccines. It is largely unnecessary as most birds are kept inside and or away from other birds. It is just very uncharted territory as well, and I do doubt most bird vaccines have been tested enough. It is completely 100% fine not to get your bird vaccinated, not one of my 39 are, and perhaps that is down to being in a country with very strict biosecurity but if I lived anywhere else I still wouldn't. I am not sure about side effects as I have not looked much into it, but I do not believe it is worth the risk.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
In my 6 years of birdkeeping I have never had a bird vaccinated. However I've never been in a scenario where that may be necessary.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I also have never had any of my birds vaccinated. Not even for international travel.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No one has ever offered me a vaccine for my birds

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The only birds that get vaccinated here are apparently chickens at egg or meat farms (not positive which or if it’s both)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Didn't someone on AA mention that caiques need vaccines?

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the advise everyone. I too didn’t think getting my bird vaccinated for anything was worth the risk. I was just confused because I thought maybe it was a thing that everyone did and I had just found out about it.
:thanks: