• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacation

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
Hi all. I have 2 sun conures who are, at least in my humble opinion, very happy. They have had my husband and me pretty much to themselves since last March. We will soon be fully vaccinated and my husband is eager to take a trip. No a long one but for a few days. We do not have family anywhere near us to take care of them. I am sure we have a friend who wouldn’t mind coming over twice a day to give them clean water, food, change the cage, etc.

I was wondering what you all do/did with your birds whenever you went away. Also was wondering how your birds behaved when you returned.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mine are always boarded at their vet's. That way there is always medical attention, if needed and the people at the vet's know how to handle birds.

ConureMama

Sitting on the front steps
I’m going away for 4 days and I’m going to have the neighbor check in them 2x a day. Not sure if she’ll take them out of the cage. I doubt it. I guess a can expect attitudes when I get back?!?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine are always boarded at their vet's. That way there is always medical attention, if needed and the people at the vet's know how to handle birds.
Do you ever worry about the loud barking dogs or kennel sounds? We do have the option to board at our vet, but since it’s a mixed practice vet... we have not boarded there because we worry about all the noise. We have a quiet household. Nobody here is used to noise.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet does not allow dogs or cats anywhere near the clinic - one of my favorite things about my Dr.'s clinic.

If your vet is responsible he should have the dogs, cats and birds well separated - for disease purposes if nothing else.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet does not allow dogs or cats anywhere near the clinic - one of my favorite things about my Dr.'s clinic.

If your vet is responsible he should have the dogs, cats and birds well separated - for disease purposes if nothing else.
I wonder if I’m just being too sensitive and picky. The bird area is separated but I hear barking dogs through closed doors whenever we are there.

edenkwfl

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone. I just found out their vet boards birds and when I take them for their wellness check next week they will show me where they would be housed.