• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacation cockatiel sitting

JellotheTiel

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
I’ve has my bird, Jello, for a year now, but today we are leaving to go to Germany for 4 weeks. Jello will be staying with my dad, for the first two weeks. I’m worried that Jello will get lonely, because he works in finance and his work goes from 8:30 to 7PM, longer than usual work hours. I can’t really do anything at this point, I’m just wondering if Jello will react badly to this change. My mom works from home, so she is usually at home with Jello on her shoulder. For the second half of our vacation, Jello will be staying with my friend’s family. They used to own 2 cockatiels, but had to rehome them because of noise. I’m not too worried about that, because Jello is generally not too loud. They do have a dog though, but I heard that he is pretty chill with birds. Hopefully all goes well.
I was also wondering about sexing Cockatiels, because we always say “she” but we don’t really know what gender Jello is. 445C4084-2DAC-496D-903C-643DB7CEF7BA.jpeg F59E3FA0-56C7-4F33-B4D9-1ACCDB8EF9BC.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She should be okay. Just ask your dad to try to spend time with her as he can. Make sure she has toys etc to keep her busy. I always type up care instructions and emergency vet numbers etc when I leave my bird with a sitter. And as for the dog, I would ask your friend not to let the tiel out around the dog. It doesn't matter how chill a dog is, accidents can happen so quickly.

@Tiel Feathers ?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think your bird will adjust. He won’t like it, and he might be a bit cranky when you return, but he should return to normal after a few days. Is there someone who can come visit with your bird during the day while he is with your dad? A neighbor or a friend? That would really help to break up his day. Also, make sure he has plenty of foraging toys to keep him busy, and I would keep the radio in for him. I would be more worried about your friend with the dog. Thinking their dog is chill around birds could lead to complacency on their part. Their dog should be put in another room when your bird is out because most accidents with dogs and birds happen because people think their dog would never hurt the bird. It’s hard to leave our little feathered sweeties, but have a good vacation! Oh, and from the photos it looks like you have a boy to me!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
He/She is beautiful!