• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UVB light- is this safe for my birds?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Hi guys :)

I’m looking for a bit of advice and I’m not experienced in using these fancy lamps. It will be a while for the weather to go back to 30+Celsius.

When is it the right time to use the lamp & for how long? I have lovebirds , African grey, conure & umbrella cockatoo.

The guy who was helping me at the pet store told me this is the one that is suitable for my requirements.

1623665199259.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wouldn't, they're not really that effective. Is/are your bird(s) eating pellets? If they are then they're getting all the D3 they need.

Also note, there is a history of birds being burned by reptile lamps.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Thank you @Ripshod
I’m so glad that I posted this or else my birds could have suffered the consequences of my choices.

It’s terrifying what UVB lamps could do to our birds.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Muna are you feeding pellets?
I was at work earlier so I rushed off a quick response. Do you have the chance for them to get unfiltered sunlight?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Yes, I do feed them pellets & chop mix. Unfortunately no all of the house windows got filter ..
Thats why I take them outside early in the morning with me on the balcony to get some natural light. They can’t even last more than 2-3 minutes outside. That’s why I bought the UVB lampstand.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yes, I do feed them pellets & chop mix. Unfortunately no all of the house windows got filter ..
Thats why I take them outside early in the morning with me on the balcony to get some natural light. They can’t even last more than 2-3 minutes outside. That’s why I bought the UVB lampstand.
Then they'll be getting all the D3 they need. You haven't wasted your money though, the lampstand can still be used with a normal lamp to brighten the cage or any dark areas.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Muna - read the ingredients listed on your pellet packaging and make sure the pellets contain vitamin D3. If not your birds aren't getting D3 (essential for the adsorption of calcium) and choose a different pellet or you will need to give them a Vit D supplement.
Here is a list of pellets that will give you the opportunity to choose one that has no sugar, no dyes and has Vitamin D.

Pellets for Parrots