• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using Paint Around Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

acortese86

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amanda
I am a painter, usually use oil paints. The room I plan on moving Penny to is my art room. I was wondering if the smells from the paint are bad for her? I believe it is linseed oil that is used in oil paints, I could be wrong. And I use other mediums as well and they can give off some smells. I do not use paint thinner or anything like that in the room. If I have to move my art room that is not a problem for me, I just thought it would be nice to have her company while I paint.

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
I was always under the impression that oil painting is not safe for birds. I'm fairly certain acrylic paints are fine since they give off no odor, are non-toxic, and you only need to use water during cleanup. Watercolor should be fine as well.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I personally wouldn't take the risk. Even if the smell or fumes from the paint were safe, the possibility of getting paint somewhere that the bird could reach (or was accidentally flicked somewhere near them) would be too intimidating for me.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Oil paint does have dangerous fumes and is not safe to use around birds. Also be careful of things some people overlook like fixatives, varnishes, or any aerosol type thing.

It is my understanding water-based acrylic paint is safe, as is watercolor paint.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I would not put a bird in your Art room. Not safe for them.

acortese86

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amanda
I will have to move my art room. I want her in that specific room because its warmer, the other guest room has a lot of windows and doesnt see the sun, and bigger, so it doesnt stay as warm in the winter

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I don't think oil paint should be around birds. My art room is my bedroom, which is also my bird room, but I use acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.