• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using a harness or other method for allowing your AG to leave the house with you

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I'm looking to hear peoples experiences and thoughts on using a harness or other method for talking your AG outside for maybe a walk with you or around the yard, maybe a car ride or to visit with family. Safety is a primary concern and I don't want to stress the bird out. I don't have an AG but it's a species I am strongly considering and I thought it might be nice to include the bird on some of my outings that are outside the home but only if its safe and enjoyable for the bird. I know these guys can be really scared of new places, people and things so I'm thinking maybe very slow new experiences could help build the birds confidence and enrich the birds life? Let me know your thoughts and what has worked for all of you! Thank you all in advanced for your time and comments, I'm excited to learn! :bounce4:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are two harnesses on the market that work well, the aviator and the Avian Webb. The avian webb is easier to put on them and is quite secure. You will just need to take baby steps and make sure the bird is comfortable with each step before going on to the next.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Think I'll pass on taking Paco anywhere for a while. Hope to get a travel cage to get him to vet for a wellness check. Right now all I have is Bugy's old cage which is big enough. I took him to Maryland in it and that was an adventure in itself. LOL

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's a great idea. Start young, and don't ever stop using it, even in the winter.
My Greenwing for years wore one, went to stores, fairs and festivals, walks in the woods with me.
One winter I got lazy, and the next summer we battled. I got bloody, he didn't wear the harness again. :(

I miss the ability to take him where I go.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm looking to hear peoples experiences and thoughts on using a harness or other method for talking your AG outside for maybe a walk with you or around the yard, maybe a car ride or to visit with family. Safety is a primary concern and I don't want to stress the bird out. I don't have an AG but it's a species I am strongly considering and I thought it might be nice to include the bird on some of my outings that are outside the home but only if its safe and enjoyable for the bird. I know these guys can be really scared of new places, people and things so I'm thinking maybe very slow new experiences could help build the birds confidence and enrich the birds life? Let me know your thoughts and what has worked for all of you! Thank you all in advanced for your time and comments, I'm excited to learn! :bounce4:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
It's a great idea. Start young, and don't ever stop using it, even in the winter.
My Greenwing for years wore one, went to stores, fairs and festivals, walks in the woods with me.
One winter I got lazy, and the next summer we battled. I got bloody, he didn't wear the harness again. :(

I miss the ability to take him where I go.
I will defiantly start young! GW's are AMAZING! I love me a gentle giant. I can't imagine how awesome it must have been to bring your GW with you to so many places! I hope in time your bird will change it's mind about the harness and give it another go. Don't give up!!

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
Wow he makes that look easy but I can see a parrot giving some resistance or being freaked out by it. I foresee a lot of positive reinforcement training needed with that contraption lol. It looks very secure though!! I like that! I know when I try to put a harness on my bearded dragon he suddenly acts like he forgot how to walk around! Thankfully he is the most laid back animal I have ever met :toofunny:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:eek:
If that's the aviator, I doubt I will ever be able to use it for Monaco. I've never even touched her chest. That's a lot of handling and hands where they don't belong according to a big black beak I know!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow he makes that look easy but I can see a parrot giving some resistance or being freaked out by it. I foresee a lot of positive reinforcement training needed with that contraption lol. It looks very secure though!! I like that! I know when I try to put a harness on my bearded dragon he suddenly acts like he forgot how to walk around! Thankfully he is the most laid back animal I have ever met :toofunny:
lol.....I know !! He does make it look easy. Me I wouldn't have any fingers left if I tried that on pierre.
It's all about baby steps and introducing the harness to the bird.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Based on other people's stories I find it is a lot easier to harness train if you're starting with a baby. My two caique boys hold still and let me put the harness on them without any issues... now. It was after a handful of times struggling with them before they realized that the harness wasn't staying for good and that it meant good times outside was coming.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to not give up. You may want to so, so badly because it doesn't come easy or quick but I'm telling you it is worth it. I love taking the boys outside in the backyard to explore and they love it to. We're slowly graduating to walks in front of the house and then down the street... then around the block. They love it and it gets them vital vitamin D from the sunlight! Just be aware of weather and temperature conditions.

Also! A good harness is very important. I use Aviator and other people might have good suggestions as well. For me, aviator was worth the extra cost. There's a lot of different harnesses on the market but a good one will really help the process to smoother.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Based on other people's stories I find it is a lot easier to harness train if you're starting with a baby. My two caique boys hold still and let me put the harness on them without any issues... now. It was after a handful of times struggling with them before they realized that the harness wasn't staying for good and that it meant good times outside was coming.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to not give up. You may want to so, so badly because it doesn't come easy or quick but I'm telling you it is worth it. I love taking the boys outside in the backyard to explore and they love it to. We're slowly graduating to walks in front of the house and then down the street... then around the block. They love it and it gets them vital vitamin D from the sunlight! Just be aware of weather and temperature conditions.

Also! A good harness is very important. I use Aviator and other people might have good suggestions as well. For me, aviator was worth the extra cost. There's a lot of different harnesses on the market but a good one will really help the process to smoother.
I think I'll get one of those things you hook up to a bike and pull behind. ( can't think what they're called) but have mesh Windows and can put a perch inside so bird can see and enjoy the outdoors.