• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

useful/flight training questions

sourbirdy

Moving in
first, onion (male? quaker parrot) is doing wonderful! :) hes one and a half and just got a new, larger cage! he loves it. hes very playful, is trying out talking, and has fully figured out how to fly (which is a little stressful).

we are already working on recalling, hes not great at it yet but its better than nothing. he can do a few tricks (shake a bell, give kiss, dance party) and im looking for new helpful things to teach him.

hes a long looong way from being able to fly freely (which is something id love for him to be able to do once we get fully trained!) but i figured it wouldnt be bad to start laying fundamentals now. from what ive seen, getting a bird to fly to you is one of the most important things?

tldr: what are the most important/helpful things youve taught your bird in relation to flying? any tips/warnings/anything you would have wanted to know before working on flight training? ALSO opinions/reccomendations on harnesses/leashes? and how to introduce them to your bird? they look kind of uncomfortable :,)

D8E8150E-D011-45AC-A001-3429AA9304E9.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Some of the most important and helpful things I have come across are:

Flying downwards is very difficult for birds and is a skill that all wild birds master but not all companion birds do so I find it to be one of the best things to encourage your bird to learn- often, escaped birds want to return to their owner when found but as it is quite difficult to fly downwards many birds are unable to do it well so they keep flying tree to tree trying to get lower at each landing which takes them further away from you.

Training things such as syringe acceptance and use and touching nails/holding toes to groom them is very helpful and saves a tonne of stress if and when the need arises to medicate or groom- these are just as important to teach as they will reduce stress and fear.