• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Used Parrot Tree Stand & Cage Advice for IRN parakeet

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
My buddy Jake (yellow napped Amazon), passed away on March 17 after 37 years of great times. I'm hopefully getting a IRN in June/July. I picked up a tree stand from someone whose African grey passed away from a stroke. He said his bird never went on it because he was afraid of it, but I am still concerned about cleaning and sanitizing it before use. There isn't any poop or chew marks in it at all. Looks unused. Do these come apart easily without ruining? Should I put the small parts in the dishwasher without soap? Spray with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar? What would be best and safest? The perches at 1-1/4" diameter. Is that ok for an Indian Ringneck?
Also looking to get an approximately 30w x 20d x 30 high (actual cage size) "flight cage" with a play top. That is the largest I can fit. Will that suffice? The door will be open most of the day when I'm home. Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Enjoy your day. The last photo was my boy Jake.

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Can the branches unscrew? I know some like that you just have to turn to unscrew. I would try vinegar or F10 if you can get your hands on it for cleaning.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Im so sorry Jake passed away, other members will be more helpful ten me, im still learning and use vinegar and hot water and then air dry but that is a beautiful big tree. that won't fit in my sink lol

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
My buddy Jake (yellow napped Amazon), passed away on March 17 after 37 years of great times. I'm hopefully getting a IRN in June/July. I picked up a tree stand from someone whose African grey passed away from a stroke. He said his bird never went on it because he was afraid of it, but I am still concerned about cleaning and sanitizing it before use. There isn't any poop or chew marks in it at all. Looks unused. Do these come apart easily without ruining? Should I put the small parts in the dishwasher without soap? Spray with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar? What would be best and safest? The perches at 1-1/4" diameter. Is that ok for an Indian Ringneck?
Also looking to get an approximately 30w x 20d x 30 high (actual cage size) "flight cage" with a play top. That is the largest I can fit. Will that suffice? The door will be open most of the day when I'm home. Thanks in advance for your recommendations. Enjoy your day. The last photo was my boy Jake.
I would still clean it if I were you. Hose down the stand if you can, wash both of the bowls in the stand with warm water and dish soap (if you're worried about the soap being too strong, dilute it with water) clean any other parts of the stand that have metal with distilled vinegar and water. some sanitizing sprays you can use are Nature's Miracle Bird Cage Cleaner and Poop Off is a good spray for birds too !! Let it dry outside if you can, best of luck !!! And that flight cage should be fine, as long as the bars are sturdy enough, IRN don't chew often on bars so you're probably okay !!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nature's Miracle is not a disinfectant, it is a cleaner.

If you can get ahold of it, F10 is a vet grade disinfectant. If you can't, mix 1 part regular bleach (not splashless) to 10 parts water. Wipe/spray it all over after cleaning, and then let sit until dry. If you can let it sit in the sun while drying, even better. Then rinse thoroughly

Ira B

Meeting neighbors
Hi all. Thanks for all your replies. I just ordered some F10 super concentrate. I should (hopefully) have it in a few days. It was hard to find for a reasonable price. I got the 100ml concentrate for $20 plus shipping. Should I mix it at 1:125 , 1:250 , or 1:500 ratio? Thanks.