• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URIs in cats?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have two feral cats I take care of. They live in an insulated cat house on my back porch. The female periodically has a cough. Not being that knowledgeable about cats, I assumed- hair ball. Well, last week, the cough seemed to be getting worse and her one eye was a little goopy. Then, she went in the cat house and wasn't coming out. We did get a lot of snow. So, I can't really blame her for not wanting to come out. And her brother kept sleeping with her at night. Someone once told me that if a cat was really sick, other cats would stay away from it. Not sure if that's true or not? Anyway, I did some googling and thought she might have an upper respiratory infection and decided that I needed to somehow get her to a vet. I made arrangements to borrow a cat carrier and was going to take her today as my vet is closed on weekends. Since I made the decision, she has seemed to have made a miraculous recovery. Seriously. She's not coughing. Her eye is not goopy. She is back to meeting me at my car when I get home and zig-zagging between my legs when I walk, and eating up a storm. So, I didn't take her to the vet's today. I did read that sometimes URIs can clear up by themselves. Any thoughts or experience with this? If that's even what she had. Do you think I should still take her to the vet? (Keeping in mind she's feral and it's not going to be fun experience for either of us.)

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah - they can clear up on their own; her regular breathing sounds good?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yeah - they can clear up on their own; her regular breathing sounds good?
Yes. Although she never really had a weird breathing sound it was more of a cough. Does that sound like a URI?

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes. Although she never really had a weird breathing sound it was more of a cough. Does that sound like a URI?
Was the eye goop colored or clear?

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The usual source of uri: feline herpes virus Herpesvirus Infection in Cats (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis)
It can come and go on it's own. Can - as with most virus/infections - also escalate. I usually consider the more colored the eye or nose discharge the worse off the illness.

l-lysine is a good supplement to give routinely or just when you see signs of illness - can help their body fight off the cold on its own.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
To me it does sound like an URI. Chicken liver every once in a a while is really healthy for them and helps boost their immunity. I always try to do organic for everything but I’m sure regular would be alright.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had cats that have had URIs in the past. The periodic weepy eye is a common after effect, even after treatment. I've found wiping their face with something wrung out in warm water helped keep them more comfortable. I'd wipe their eyes, nose & ears. They seemed to really appreciate the TLC & it did help with the weepiness.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. If she gets worse again, I will take her to the vet. She seems to be quite lively and happy right now. I will try your suggestions too to keep her from getting sick again.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Older thread... but probiotics can help. You can mix them into the food.

I believe many people are actually recommending colostrum over L-lysine and some use lactoferrin as well for cats with FHV.

My cat was unofficially diagnosed with FHV. He just gets cold like symptoms.... red/runny eyes, snot and a bit lethargic. I only use probiotics with him to help control symptoms.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Older thread... but probiotics can help. You can mix them into the food.

I believe many people are actually recommending colostrum over L-lysine and some use lactoferrin as well for cats with FHV.

My cat was unofficially diagnosed with FHV. He just gets cold like symptoms.... red/runny eyes, snot and a bit lethargic. I only use probiotics with him to help control symptoms.
Thanks. I will get probiotics for her. That's something easy to do. Much more so than a vet trip.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thanks. I will get probiotics for her. That's something easy to do. Much more so than a vet trip.

You can also buy food with probiotics already in it. I did both for a while - probiotic food + probiotics. I've fed Instinct Cat Food and 4Health Weight Loss... and used Fortiflora. There are other options out there, food and probiotic wise. Benebac, Proviable, Mercola...

Of course, if you see symptoms return, it might not be a bad idea to take her in anyway... but maybe see if you could give her a slight sedative for her to eat before taking her in? (clear with the vet first!)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also buy food with probiotics already in it. I did both for a while - probiotic food + probiotics. I've fed Instinct Cat Food and 4Health Weight Loss... and used Fortiflora. There are other options out there, food and probiotic wise. Benebac, Proviable, Mercola...

Of course, if you see symptoms return, it might not be a bad idea to take her in anyway... but maybe see if you could give her a slight sedative for her to eat before taking her in? (clear with the vet first!)
Great idea about the sedative. I never thought of that. Hopefully, it won't reoccur but I am definitely going to try food/probiotics. I can at least pet her. Her brother is not touchable. Around this time last year, he seemed sick and I thought I was going to have to take him to the vet and had no idea how I was going to do that. I was going to call my vet and ask but then he perked up. He tends to disappear for a few days at a time and a friend of mine with cats thought that maybe he just ate something bad while he was out roaming. These cats who aren't really "mine" are going to give me grey hairs. LOL.