• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urination

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I will be making an appt with our avian vet Monday when the office opens, but wondering if anyone can advise me what sort of questions and tests I should ask for re: my Senegal.

For the past couple of days, I've noticed that Luna has been urinating more frequently. He still has normal looking feces, but also has droppings that look also like he's just urinating -- without anything else that I can detect.

Of course, googling his symptoms has me worried that it's aspergillosis.

Any advice on what to talk to the vet about would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not hope for the worst yet. :)
Is he more anguish or worried over something? Hormonal?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I did this for my vet once to document if a bird was drinking a lot. Might be helpful to your vet.
Put a measured amount into his water bowl, and into a "control" bowl outside but nearby the cage that is untouched. The control will account for evaporation and is important.
measure the amount of change in each dish after a set amount of time, like 12 or 24 hours.
I have several graduated cylinders which made it easier and more accurate.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Not hope for the worst yet. :)
Is he more anguish or worried over something? Hormonal?
That s what googling will do to me, unfortunately!

Luna has been moody somewhat and he has started doing his heart wings... Which, when I adopted him 4 mos ago, did lead to his mating skirt dance so it can be early onset hormones. Does that cause more urination?

He does not appear unhappy and has even flown to me recently (which is a big deal!). Generally pretty active but still needs naps during the day, as per usual for him since we brought him home from the rescue.

I did this for my vet once to document if a bird was drinking a lot. Might be helpful to your vet.
Put a measured amount into his water bowl, and into a "control" bowl outside but nearby the cage that is untouched. The control will account for evaporation and is important.
measure the amount of change in each dish after a set amount of time, like 12 or 24 hours.
I have several graduated cylinders which made it easier and more accurate.
Luna has drank more water than usual. On Thursday, I noticed it was half empty when I came home from work but just thought he had taken a bath -- which he likes to do in his water dish. But when I noticed the urination, I connected how much he's been drinking.

:(:(:(:(:(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Does that cause more urination?
Yes if they are worried over something the first sign is that the poop is very watery.
And it can be the same when they are hormonal.

I would have asked the vet to make all test of possible things, but also ask if it can be mentally.
Drinking more = more watery poop. I would have been more concern that he is drinking more then usual.
And are Luna DNA male?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have not had Luna sexed, but only guessing that he is male based on prior owner never having seen an egg (Luna is about 6 yrs old) and that Luna tries to mate with Wally (who has laid many eggs already).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be sure to bring a fecal sample with you. Vet will recommend tests which may include CBC/blood panel and culture.
Hope all will be well with Luna.
How old is Luna?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Zane going through similar problem right now. Plus he lost a lot weight. He went to his vet Thursday. They did a fecal smear and saw nothing unusual so it's being sent to lab for more testing. They also did bloodwork that they sent to the lab too. I don't have the test results back yet. He is on an antibiotic for now while we wait for the results and it's already helping.

What I've read increase thirst can be a sign of a kidney infection. But it's so hard to know and best to take Luna to your vet. I'd do fecal smear and bloodwork as the first step and go from there.

I hope Luna feel better soon
:hug8:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Be sure to bring a fecal sample with you. Vet will recommend tests which may include CBC/blood panel and culture.
Hope all will be well with Luna.
How old is Luna?
What would be the best way to bring a sample? Would a ziploc be ok? Luna is about 6 yo.

Zane going through similar problem right now. Plus he lost a lot weight. He went to his vet Thursday. They did a fecal smear and saw nothing unusual so it's being sent to lab for more testing. They also did bloodwork that they sent to the lab too. I don't have the test results back yet. He is on an antibiotic for now while we wait for the results and it's already helping.
:hug5: I have been following your updates on Zane - what a cutie and a fighter! I hope he feels better real soon :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to remove the cage paper that had the poop on it (no seeds or any other stuff on it) and put it in a ziploc.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Luna and I are at the vet right now and I feel so nervous for him :unsure1: We are just waiting for the gram stain results (done in house) but will need to wait a few days for the full panel and bile acid test to come back from an outside lab. I have half of his carrier covered with a towel but wish I could just hug him :sad1:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I only just saw this! Sending loads of good thoughts to you and Luna! Were here watery droppings just after a shower? All my birds, Henkie most of all, have a water dropping after a shower. I hope she is going to be okay!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you @TikiMyn :heart: The vet didn't see any problems from the physical exam and the gram stain results were fine, too. So now we just wait... We are home now and all the birdies will have an early bedtime from these couple of days of going back and forth to the vet :goodnight2:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you @TikiMyn :heart: The vet didn't see any problems from the physical exam and the gram stain results were fine, too. So now we just wait... We are home now and all the birdies will have an early bedtime from these couple of days of going back and forth to the vet :goodnight2:
That is good news!(right?):bliss:Maybe she Will be back to normal soon! :heart:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8:Hope Luna feels better soon!!! Since the physical exam went well does that mean her weight is stable? I wish you two all the best :heart:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:hug8:Hope Luna feels better soon!!! Since the physical exam went well does that mean her weight is stable? I wish you two all the best :heart:
Thank you! Yes, Luna is actually still a little on the chunky side. Since we adopted him 4 mos ago, we have successfully transitioned him to veggies and pellets from his love of seeds, and getting him moving more from couch potato status :eating::fly2::float: But the vet wasn't worried about his current weight and thought Luna to be in good shape :heart:

But what does it mean if there's no physical symptoms other than the abnormal water intake and urination? :unsure1:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm not sure... it could be some sort infection?? Wait for the bloodwork and if it come back inconclusive you might want to look into lead poisoning. Zane's being tested for that now. Thankful they still had enough blood from the last set of testing that they could use it.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be behavioral. I have a bird right now with polydipsia/polyuria that's been going on for at least 6 months with no diagnosis.