• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent

Jesse j

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jesse james strickland
Hi my names jesse, and i think i have a sick cockatiel..

Steve has been sneezing frequently, has a blocked nose which causes him to breath through his mouth more than normal.

I think his tail is bobbing, but he is still eating and drinking quite frequently..

What should i do. I know taking him to a vet would be the best option but i have little money and was wondering if i am able to let his simptoms pass and let him get better on his own?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry to hear your cockatiel isn't doing well. I'd recommend finding a vet that will let you pay your bills in installments if you can't pay all at once.

Good luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As per your post, you know that taking him to the vet would be the best option so that is what you need to do.
Vet can diagnose what is causing the issues and prescribe medication as necessary. For now keep him warm and let him rest but please do take him to the vet.
Hope he will be OK.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are his sneezes wet or dry? Wet sneezes are usually cause for concern. How is his nare blocked? Is something lodged in it or is it clogged from wet sneezes? A vet is always the best option. If his sneezes are wet it could be a respiratory infection. Dry sneezes could be environmental- like the house is dry, he's dusty, etc. Have you looked into Care Credit? That can also help with vet bills. From my experience, if a cockatiel is sick, they need a vet and just don't get better on their own.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
When in doubt, take him to an avian vet so they can look him over. As it's good that he's eating and drinking water but with birds you can never be to sure as it can always be too late since they hide their illness. I hope your little guy will be okay.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can figure out a way to take him to the vet, and that your little bird will be okay!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The thing is when we commit to owning a pet we also commit to paying for its care. You say you do not ‘have’ the money — what could you give up in order to accumulate the money? Newspaper subscription, morning latte, walk to work instead of taking the bus,, parking pass for a month etc etc.

Vet visits for a tiel are not terribly much and your bird could die without treatment. It is time to get creative about your money and take your friend to the vet. Please don’t wait.

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda
Welcome, and sorry to hear that your cockatiel is not doing well. An avian vet needs to see him if he is tail-bobbing. Tail-bobbing indicates serious illness. I hope your little bird will be okay.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Everything you mentioned together throws up many red flags for me. I believe this bird needs an avian vet, have you applied for Care Credit or asked friends if you could borrow the money? Generally birds are very good at hiding their symptoms when they're sick. I would be very concerned since you're seeing so many symptoms.