• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent trip, scared of travel cage.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hey everyone,

I found out that my aunt has cancer again and it is bad this time so I have to go see her this weekend. It is a 7 hour road trip. The thing is though I will go there on Saturday and come back on Sunday so cage horror is to take place twice in one weekend.

I normally use Astro's sleeping cage for travels but he is actually not very fond of it. Just 2 days ago I got him a better one where he doesn't have to stand on poop like with his sleeper because it doesn't have mesh under. He is absolutely terrified of this one. I have been target training him around it but he won't go very close to it.

Sleeper cage:
-No mesh bottom, I'm afraid poop will go everywhere.
-No food bowls
-Will probably develop an aversion to it and will have difficulty being put to sleep in it.

New cage:
-Mesh bottom.
-Food bowls
-It is new and he doesn't even appreciate it being in the room.

My question is, should I use the sleeping cage or somehow the new one, and how would I go about it?

Another option is to leave him alone at home for 24 hours.

clarousel

So sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she's holding up well.

The sleeper cage sounds like the better of the two options seeing as there's not a lot of time for you to get him comfortable around the new cage. I think it'd cause you (and him) more stress too to try get him in and stay in it.

Can you add perches and attachable food bowls to the sleeper cage?

If he ends up hating the sleeper cage after this weekend, you can carry on working with him on the new cage since that is your end goal and there wouldn't be added hatred to the new cage.

Alternatively, do you have anyone would could birdsit him?

Reactions: Ali

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
So sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she's holding up well.

The sleeper cage sounds like the better of the two options seeing as there's not a lot of time for you to get him comfortable around the new cage. I think it'd cause you (and him) more stress too to try get him in and stay in it.

Can you add perches and attachable food bowls to the sleeper cage?

If he ends up hating the sleeper cage after this weekend, you can carry on working with him on the new cage since that is your end goal and there wouldn't be added hatred to the new cage.

Alternatively, do you have anyone would could birdsit him?
I think that is a good idea. There is a perch in his sleeper but the last two times we went on a road trip he kept climbing around and didn't stop for 5 hours.

There is unfortunately no one that can birdsit him. No one around me knows parrots and I don't think anyone would be able to control him if that makes sense.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Maybe a silly suggestion (?) but do you have any vets or rescues nearby that might be able to look after him nearby? I know some vets will do boarding, and I think rescues somethimes do too.

clarousel

I think that is a good idea. There is a perch in his sleeper but the last two times we went on a road trip he kept climbing around and didn't stop for 5 hours.

There is unfortunately no one that can birdsit him. No one around me knows parrots and I don't think anyone would be able to control him if that makes sense.
I don't know if this works for larger birds (I'm assuming he's your African Grey in the avatar) but is it possible to have him out of the cage in the car? Like have him perch on something? But that could potentially be a driving hazard :sour:

Would it be possible to take more breaks to split up the journey? Although that would make it even longer...

Just came to me but would covering the cage help?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Maybe a silly suggestion (?) but do you have any vets or rescues nearby that might be able to look after him nearby? I know some vets will do boarding, and I think rescues somethimes do too.
I need to consider whether to put him in an unknown environment or take him on the trip. I don't know any but I'll have a look.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I don't know if this works for larger birds (I'm assuming he's your African Grey in the avatar) but is it possible to have him out of the cage in the car? Like have him perch on something? But that could potentially be a driving hazard :sour:

Would it be possible to take more breaks to split up the journey? Although that would make it even longer...

Just came to me but would covering the cage help?
I'm afraid he would chew everything in the car lol. No amount of treat did what balled up socks did and he touched the new cage with his beak to get it. But I think you are right and I should still use the older one and not associate the new one like that.

clarousel

I'm afraid he would chew everything in the car lol. No amount of treat did what balled up socks did and he touched the new cage with his beak to get it. But I think you are right and I should still use the older one and not associate the new one like that.
Oh oops haha.

Yeah best to keep the new cage with positive experiences. Glad you got somewhere with it today! :)

Maybe the best thing is gonna have to be a bit painful? Can't think of any other options now. Having him board elsewhere could just be as stressful for him too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I leave my bird overnight without any issues. That is much less stressful for him.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I leave my bird overnight without any issues. That is much less stressful for him.
That is actually very good advice. Would you say that it is a good idea for a bird that normally sleeps in a travel cage and is very clingy to sleep in his normal cage for one night and also spend the day in it? He normally spends maximum 5 hours in his cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is actually very good advice. Would you say that it is a good idea for a bird that normally sleeps in a travel cage and is very clingy to sleep in his normal cage for one night and also spend the day in it? He normally spends maximum 5 hours in his cage.
When I did sleep cages a long time ago, I only used them when I was home. I left the birds in their normal day cages if I was going to be gone overnight.

Will the travel cage fit inside the day cage? You could put it in there for him to sleep in perhaps?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
When I did sleep cages a long time ago, I only used them when I was home. I left the birds in their normal day cages if I was going to be gone overnight.

Will the travel cage fit inside the day cage? You could put it in there for him to sleep in perhaps?
I actually postponed the trip to next week because I have recently seen a friend who has come into contact with people who caught the virus so I need to make sure I don't have it.

I'm in the middle of building an aviary for Astro. I'll finish that until next week hopefully and just leave him there I guess. Everything will fit in the new aviary just fine! Then we can even ask our friends to stay one night without taking Astro out, they can be company. I think this is the best solution isn't it?

clarousel

I actually postponed the trip to next week because I have recently seen a friend who has come into contact with people who caught the virus so I need to make sure I don't have it.

I'm in the middle of building an aviary for Astro. I'll finish that until next week hopefully and just leave him there I guess. Everything will fit in the new aviary just fine! Then we can even ask our friends to stay one night without taking Astro out, they can be company. I think this is the best solution isn't it?
That sounds like a wonderful change of events! The aviary sounds very exciting. I'm glad you've found a solution :)

Hope your aunt is all good and will be well when you visit her next week!