• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT There are mites in my birds cage

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
That picture was taken shortly after my finch, Crimson, had taken a bath. You can see how his chest feathers are still a little wet. I think he was fluffing up a bit to help him dry out and stay warm while he relaxed after his bath.

Not sure if that posture means anything in particular. I think of it as a way to conserve body heat when sleeping or when the weather is bad. A bird that looks "puffed up" could be tired or cold or feeling ill.

Finchly might know more. I am a novice when it comes to finch behaviors.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey you. Don’t sell yourself short- you know plenty!
He looks relaxed to me. Sometimes they semi puff if they’re resting.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Destiny -- are those all color variations of the Gouldian? Fabulous! Love the white one [bottom of pic]...

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
That picture was taken shortly after my finch, Crimson, had taken a bath. You can see how his chest feathers are still a little wet. I think he was fluffing up a bit to help him dry out and stay warm while he relaxed after his bath.

Not sure if that posture means anything in particular. I think of it as a way to conserve body heat when sleeping or when the weather is bad. A bird that looks "puffed up" could be tired or cold or feeling ill.

same thing with my blaze I thought it was kind of strange though so I asked just incase.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
@Destiny -- are those all color variations of the Gouldian? Fabulous! Love the white one [bottom of pic]...
Yes, they are all male Lady Gouldian Finches. Crimson is green back with red head, one of the standard colorings. Jasper is yellow back and Sterling is silver back. The color of the head, back, and chest in Gouldian finches are controlled by separate genes, so there are dozens of variations. All of them are gorgeous.

Some day, I would like to get a blue back Gouldian finch with a black head and white chest. They are my favorite. So pretty, like a living jewel.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
They are all just SO BEAUTIFUL! Did not know there were color variations like that! ...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne