• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent!!! Sun Conure Baby unable to stand up

Shyamala

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shyamala
I recently got a sun conure baby claimed to be 3-4 months old from a breeder who was unable to take care of it as it couldn't stand up. He told me that it should be fed twice a day but I noticed that that wasn't enough and now I'm feeding it thrice a day. I got it to the only vet who was familiar with birds in my city and he told me that it could be some nervous problem and that he had to consult an avian vet from another city. The bird is unable to stand and barely uses its left leg, cannot hold onto things properly. The vet made sure that there's no damage to the bones but I am not sure if its a splayed leg here because I have never seen splayed legs with birds in real life in all my 10 years of bird rearing. I'm attaching a picture here for reference, I'm not sure if he hurt his leg or something but the breeder told me that its a birth defect. If its a splayed leg, is my bird too old to be corrected? I tried that Sponge method to correct his legs but he seemed to be in pain at a particular point , even though he let me touch his leg otherwise. Hence the question.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm watching, I'm just not sure what to say. The one photo with the head pressed down and turned to tge side looks neurological.
The legs could be splayed or it neurological.

I've seen pretty sever splayed leg babies, babies but they still sit up and move around.

Does it try to eat anything on its own? Grab anything With beak?

I'm trying to think of anything to help....

Bless you for giving the baby a chance , and getting a veterinarian consults.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Time to see a avian vet