• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent URGENT SEVERED TOE

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
my poor kakariki got his toes stuck when my mum slightly closed the door, not fully thank god. He lost a lot of blood and one of this toes is crooked and severed. i think the other toe is slightly cut but it’s too bloody. We tried pouring flour on to stop the blood but everytime he moved around it bled more. there’s a lot of blood on his fur and he just sits with his toe tucked in. he’s still moving around and eating but i’m worried he’s in pain. it’s too late to call the vets and it’s usually a long process due to corona delays. we attempted a plaster but it just comes off. he’s picking a lot of his feather because of the blood. what should we do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Call your vet and see if they have emergency information on their answering machine (many do). Even if you can get the bleeding to stop (try cornstarch), you are right that he will be in pain

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
Call your vet and see if they have emergency information on their answering machine (many do). Even if you can get the bleeding to stop (try cornstarch), you are right that he will be in pain
we tried cornstarch and it helped but he lost quite a lot of blood. he’s sleeping normally today thankfully. we will try contact the vet for that. thank you so much