• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT! Ran out of hand feeding formula for 4-week-old cockatiel!!

JackieB

Moving in
I've been hand feeding Niko for the past week now. I'm not an experienced hand feeder and this is my first time taking care of a baby tiel! I understand that this is NOT IDEAL but under the circumstances, all I can do is take care of him as best as I can. Problem is I've run out of Kaytee Exact Handfeeding Formula for Baby Birds because its been going out of stock all over the place! Hopefully, it will be delivered between 1-3 business days but I don't know what to do in the meantime!!

All I have with me is 2 tablespoons (not even) left of the formula that can last for two feedings, millet seeds that Niko has started to peck at, and a full bag of Roudybush pellets.

What do I do??

Extra Info: Niko has been steadily gaining weight so far and was 80-85 grams this morning (8/25/20). I'm planning on seeing an avian vet this week when I have the chance. Niko was given to me by my uncle (NOT an experienced breeder) for my birthday with 3 weeks of age. I'm trying to give him the best care despite my lack of experience.

JackieB

Moving in
A few minutes ago I actually smashed up the pellets and put some of the powder with a bit of the remaining formula, then mixed it in with the water. The mixture was a little bit chunkier than I'd like but Niko ate it up and looks fed. Thank you for the suggestion! I hope using the Roudybush pellets for a day or two doesn't deprive him of necessary baby bird nutrients though..

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
A few minutes ago I actually smashed up the pellets and put some of the powder with a bit of the remaining formula, then mixed it in with the water. The mixture was a little bit chunkier than I'd like but Niko ate it up and looks fed. Thank you for the suggestion! I hope using the Roudybush pellets for a day or two doesn't deprive him of necessary baby bird nutrients though..
I had the exact same problem, and have been feeding with smashed, soaked pellets for the past week. It has worked so far. I wonder why the formula is out of stock do many places?

Hawer_

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Hawer Sarwat
I had the exact same problem, and have been feeding with smashed, soaked pellets for the past week. It has worked so far. I wonder why the formula is out of stock do many places?
I also ran out of the A21 but fortunately the birds weaned and i was just giving them once a day. The store manager told me that even the distributor ran out of it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hopefully, it will be delivered between 1-3 business days
Did your formula turn up? I hope so :)
Also, happy belated birthday :greet6:
I don´t know what your uncle was thinking gifting you such a young chick but I´m sure his heart was in the right place.

I wonder why the formula is out of stock do many places?
The store manager told me that even the distributor ran out of it.
Likely linked to the pandemic. Problems sourcing ingredients, factory workers getting sick, back log from lock downs etc will all contribute.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I hope you found the formula. I believe the pellets are your best bet.

paxprose

Checking out the neighborhood
if you're in the united states, i've noticed the supply chain for the intune formula that i like in a weird spot too. either covid related or a dependency on the usps.
the only prime seller has a markup of 70% for the 5lb bag; otherwise i've seen expected delivery time of october (for reference later it's currently sept 2020).

when they start to wean i found mixing formula, ground pellets, and water a really pallet-able concoction if you keep it warm.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had a tiel who lost the hook on her maxilla at three weeks. Her Mom refused to feed her, so I had to pull her out of the nest box and began hand feeding. When she was 10 weeks old, the vet suggested I slowly change her from formula to finely crushed Harrison's pellets mixed with water. Diva did great on the pellets and I finally got her to weak at 16 months old. I thought she would never wean off the bedtime feeding! But she was a wonderful, loving bird.