• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT - Need help ASAP!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi everybody! I have a situation here. I've been in TD's room with him since 9 o'clock this morning. It's now 2:18 pm. My washer and dryer are due to be delivered any minute now. TD is refusing to go back into his cage. I've been trying for two hours to convince him to go in. Idk what to do! I've tried everything I can think of. I don't want to force him to go in. If I leave him in there alone, I'm afraid when the delivery happens and the dogs go wackadoodle he will start slamming himself all around in the room and hitting the walls and etc. If anyone has a good idea to give me to try please don't hesitate to send it! Thank you very much.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Favorite snacks, bath, foods, etc inside the cage already tried?

Darkening the room with only a light on by the cage?

Sometimes you have to be the bad guy for their safety. If it feels unsafe for him to be out of the cage during the delivery, then forcing him in is keeping him safe.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Favorite snacks, bath, foods, etc inside the cage already tried?

Darkening the room with only a light on by the cage?

Sometimes you have to be the bad guy for their safety. If it feels unsafe for him to be out of the cage during the delivery, then forcing him in is keeping him safe.
I've tried all of the above except for the lights out. I'll try that. It is still a new place for him. I had promised myself I would never force him again cuz I had to do that several times when we were in the rv. A couple of times the weather took a turn and the dogs I couldn't expect them to stay outside in the bad weather so we had to force him in and a couple times we were told we couldn't park where we were parked and I had to force him in so we could move on and I just didn't want to do it to him again, but if I have to I guess I will. But I'll try the lights out first. Thank you!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely agree with Mizzley,in this case it's the risk of him getting hurt so having to put him in the cage against his will seems harsh but it's paramount for his safety. He'll forgive you just like he has the other times I'm sure of it :)

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. Internet connection not good today. Real ? iibad weather. The delivery went great. I'm on my 2nd of many loads!

I got TD back in his cage with a kinda mean trick I used a couple of times before. I had tried it earlier and he wasn't having it. I tried it again though. What I do is look into his cage and say, "Where's TD? Where's my birdie? He should be home, but I don't see him! Oh, where's my birdie. I want my birdie." Then I start calling, "TD, where are you?" I look around, but totally act like I don't see him. He's doin' everything he can to get me to see him. After a few tearful, "TD where are you 's" he can't take it anymore and goes in at which point I exclaim, "there's my birdie! I see you!" and softly shut the door.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. Internet connection not good today. Real ? iibad weather. The delivery went great. I'm on my 2nd of many loads!

I got TD back in his cage with a kinda mean trick I used a couple of times before. I had tried it earlier and he wasn't having it. I tried it again though. What I do is look into his cage and say, "Where's TD? Where's my birdie? He should be home, but I don't see him! Oh, where's my birdie. I want my birdie." Then I start calling, "TD, where are you?" I look around, but totally act like I don't see him. He's doin' everything he can to get me to see him. After a few tearful, "TD where are you 's" he can't take it anymore and goes in at which point I exclaim, "there's my birdie! I see you!" and softly shut the door.
Soooo clever!!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That's honestly the most hilarious trick I've heard :roflmao: There was a trend on social media a while back where people would call their dogs while the dog was right next to them and it was great - It reminds me of that. I love it haha

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I bet he got a favorite treat too!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
There were already several in his cage from previous attempts. Though I must say that's been a problem as well. He has no treat he likes so much he'll do anything for.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If Jingo (quaker) wouldn't go home when asked to, I would go to hi cage and touch random stuff and shout out "I'm touching your stuff!" and he would come barreling home to defend his territory :lol:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
If Jingo (quaker) wouldn't go home when asked to, I would go to hi cage and touch random stuff and shout out "I'm touching your stuff!" and he would come barreling home to defend his territory :lol:
Sometimes I use his friend, Pony, to do that. I'll put Pony in his cage and say, "Pony's eating all your food, etc.". Sometimes it works, sometimes he doesn't care.

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
I’m assuming you’ve already found a solution, but lights off always works for me, even with my birds that don’t normally “step up!”

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I need to teach Tteok some of these tricks :roflmao: he's started this toddler-like phase where and soon as he realizes it is bed time, he's off like a shot and I have to play catch the birdie.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I need to teach Tteok some of these tricks :roflmao: he's started this toddler-like phase where and soon as he realizes it is bed time, he's off like a shot and I have to play catch the birdie.
And how do you catch your birdie?