• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT: My lovebirds nail has come off

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
I recaged a pair of lovebirds a few days ago and today i went to the cage to give them water and one of their feet is bleeding. It looks like the nail has come off. It doesnt look like its continued bleeding. I just want to know if theres anything i need to do, or anything to relieve pain, Please help.

EDIT: Theyre on the floor, and its not bleeding. Theres little chance the other lovebird attacked bc theyre bonded. I think what caused it is a calcium perch, It had a bit of a hole in it that i didnt notice before and maybe the toenail got clipped in there when they left the perch.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Theres little chance the other lovebird attacked bc theyre bonded.
I wouldn´t rule out that possibility.
In captivity, it´s not unheard of for them to turn on each other one day, usually the hen attacking the male. Some have even reported one killing the other. My uncle recently has an incident where two bonded birds kiled each other, he found both dead in the cage.

Just be sure the bleeding is stopped. If it continues to bleed you will need to seek medical assistence.

If the nail is just chipped it should be ok, but if the nail has completely gone, I would visit the vet to have it looked at and ask if your bird needs any pain meds.