• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT- MY DOG GOT AN ARMADILLO WHAT DO I DO

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
so i was letting my dog use the bathroom in my grandmother's yard and he ran into the woods and captured an armadillo. his back legs don't seem functional, and his shell is punctured. should i let him crawl back into the woods where he might get snatched by predators, or should i take him to a vet and risk him dying of stress and panic? please help, both of these options seem cruel and i don't know what to do

edit: I know this is in bird emergency 911, but I don't know where else to put this

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One of my girls works at the wildlife refuge. She said to bring it to the vet or call a wildlife rehabilitator.

SeñorBirb

Real Name
Ella
One of my girls works at the wildlife refuge. She said to bring it to the vet or call a wildlife rehabilitator.
thank you, do you know of any in kentucky? that is where I am right now

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
There are definitely armadillos in Kentucky. I wonder if you can call a regular vet and ask them what to do? If you do pick it up, don't touch it with your bare hands. Use gloves or a towel or something and wash your hands and change your clothes afterwards. They carry bacteria

SeñorBirb

Real Name
Ella
Update on the armadillo: We got the armadillo into a box (hands-free, we kind of scooped it up), got it into the car, and drove an hour away to a wildlife rehabilitator that my grandmother found and dropped him/her off. I feel so bad, hopefully s/he recovers quickly :(

Side note: The lady that worked there said that armadillos carrying leprosy is sort of a myth, about 2% of the population carries it, and the only way to catch it was to eat it raw(they do carry a lot of the diseases, so don't go picking up any armadillos). I don't know if this is true, someone pleas correct me if it isn't

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad you got the little guy to a rehab centre! That´s good news. Maybe you could call them in a few days and ask how he is?

Thread moved to Other than feathers speedway.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you happen to get any pics? They are such fascinating creatures!

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
So glad you got him/her to the rehab center! Thank you for taking care of the baby!