• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

olly <3

Moving in
Real Name
olly
Hello! So I recently got a Indian Ringneck as my first pet a week ago, which as ive heard wasnt the best idea bcs of how hard they are to tame. But i do think that i have a disadvantage as this is what mine is like

everytime he sees you, he’ll jump all around the cage and start screaming
He has bursts of energy and i feel bad that hes still in the cage so much so i let him out but he ends up going on the floor but her cant fly, so we put a towel on him and pick him up to put him back as he gets very scared on the floor. Hes also flew around the cage so much in his past that hes broken lots of feathers causing him to not be able to fly and have unhealthy, messy looking feathers. I dont know ANYTHING about his past but i can tell it was traumatic for him

going to a vet isnt currently a option in my case so could someone help me out please? Im kind of desperate

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
May i ask why you took in this bird if you are not able to provide vet care? Sounds like you have your hands full. Can you give is some background on the bird?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He already has the bird so asking about vet care isn't helpful. Suggesting he or she save their money, if that's the issue, so they could go to the vet in the future would be more helpful. And s/he's certainly not the only member not to provide vet care for their bird.

It sounds like you bought a bird that wasn't handfed or that was but hasn't been handled for a while. Your bird is going to need time and patience to calm down. You just got the bird: it's in a strange place and needs time to adjust. Give the bird lots of ambient attention. That means spending time near the bird but not forcing contact. Sit and listen to music, read a book, just hang out. Start out away from the bird (6-10 feet but in the same room) and over days and weeks to come, move closer as the bird becomes accustomed to you. Good luck and be patient.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Aooratrix gave great advice already.
I just wanted to add that I’ve found making sure the bird is comfortable moving around in and able to have fun in their cage is something that’s helped my guys. A few of my birds came from bad situations and were scared or sick or both. The day they realized they were safe enough to actually play (by themselves with the toys) was a big turning point. Spend some time figuring out your little ones favorite fun items...maybe it’s balsa wood, maybe shreddable paper, etc. and keep a steady supply of that. It’s a tiny step toward a happy bird, but it really seems to help them open up a little to seeing people as the providers of fun vs scary predators. One of my macaws warmed right up to the concept, and my other is still getting there a year later. It takes time to gain trust, but the patience is worth it.

olly <3

Moving in
Real Name
olly
May i ask why you took in this bird if you are not able to provide vet care? Sounds like you have your hands full. Can you give is some background on the bird?
Its from someone else but they couldnt care for it so by the time i came back home it was in my house without me knowing. My parents just took it in not thinking about that stuff

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :laugh-bounce:
Have you [or your parents] ever had birds before? What kind/ handle-able?

Many birds do NOT like to be on the ground in an unknown environment... did you TRY to pick him up with your hand? Using a towel [unless he's a BAD biter or is in a dangerous situation] will only make him distrust you right from the start.

It was very kind of your parents to accept him from an unwanted situation... and good of you to also accept that responsibility... Hope things will only improve! Keep trying!
Don't be afraid to get bit--- sometimes that comes with the territory! Birds can only: bite/ scream/ or run away...

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Pat occasionally you may get bit especially if you are learning to understand you birds behaviour ( if you do try your best not to react this can encourage further bites ) my wife is vocal if one of my conures nips her and this is them just playing i dont make a sound they nip her more than me and potentially harder.

olly <3

Moving in
Real Name
olly
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :laugh-bounce:
Have you [or your parents] ever had birds before? What kind/ handle-able?

Many birds do NOT like to be on the ground in an unknown environment... did you TRY to pick him up with your hand? Using a towel [unless he's a BAD biter or is in a dangerous situation] will only make him distrust you right from the start.

It was very kind of your parents to accept him from an unwanted situation... and good of you to also accept that responsibility... Hope things will only improve! Keep trying!
Don't be afraid to get bit--- sometimes that comes with the territory! Birds can only: bite/ scream/ or run away...
I havent had him bite me before but the only reason we pick him back up with a towel is so that he doesnt run away as he doesnt know how to get back and will run for as long as it takes to get away.

weve owned budgies and cockateils before but theyre no where near as hard as this

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I can understand using the towel. Have you tried offering him food from your hand? Or if he's afraid of your hands, then put it in his bowl and make a big deal of it. Can also try to show it to him 1st, and take a bite yourself, then give it to him... sharing.
My Ringnecks were breeders [never had any babies with me], so I've never handled a pet one...

olly <3

Moving in
Real Name
olly
I can understand using the towel. Have you tried offering him food from your hand? Or if he's afraid of your hands, then put it in his bowl and make a big deal of it. Can also try to show it to him 1st, and take a bite yourself, then give it to him... sharing.
My Ringnecks were breeders [never had any babies with me], so I've never handled a pet one...
Thing is, i cant even sit down next to him without him freaking out. Even in his cage hes too scared to eat unless were not around him

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
"Slow but sure will win the race"!
I see... so just take your time... and give him his! :shy:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I havent had him bite me before but the only reason we pick him back up with a towel is so that he doesnt run away as he doesnt know how to get back and will run for as long as it takes to get away.

weve owned budgies and cockateils before but theyre no where near as hard as this
If getting him back in the cage is a big drama and causing this amount of stress dont allow him out of the cage for the time being.
Dont feel guilty leaving him in the cage as a short term measure whilst you gain his trust there is nothing wrong with taking things slowly.
Start working on your relationship with him in the cage as Aooatrix advised just spend time with the bird listen to music read so the bird can see you from a distance slowly moving closer to the cage over time.
Seeing people who buy birds and they are stepping up and tame straight away can be disheartening however not all birds are like this. I have two conures the first didnt come out of her cage for 4 weeks the second it was longer the second bird still wont step up onto my finger so i am using a old perch when i want her to go back into her cage.
She landed on the floor behind some furniture last week and i did have to pick her up she didnt bite me, i was very slow and spoke to her quietly offering her reasurance the whole time i returned her to her cage and then made a huge fuss of her offering treats telling her what a good girl she was and thankfully things didnt go backwards with her.
Patience is the key.