• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent help! Some blood in droppings!

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Hello! I'm very worried about my bird, i recently got a new cagcage for him and he's been pooping red droppings. The blood isn't in the urine, but only in the poop itself. I can't really tell if it's bright or dark red. It's been about an hour and I'm not for sure if it's cleared up or not, some times it will stop then come back. The cage is iron with non-toxic spray on it. I'm not for sure if it's metal poisoning? Also, he was around the cage and he got scared, tried to fly (clipped wings), and eneed up falling; hitting the cage and then the tile floor. He's hit the floor many times, but ive never seen blood in his droppings. Is this / could this be internal bleeding or metal poisoning? I'm very worried, and I can't take him to a vet..
The cage is Yaheetech Wrought Iron Bird Cage with Large Play Top - Cage Size:18 x 18 x 35 inch, White Amazon.com : Yaheetech Wrought Iron Bird Cage with Large Play Top - Cage Size:18 x 18 x 35 inch, White : Pet Supplies

He has an all seed diet at the moment, so I doubt it could be coloring from his food. I've never seen it that color.

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He needs to see an avian vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are you sure that he is not a she?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
He needs to see an avian vet.
My parents won't bring me, but today he's doing a lot better, he doesn't seem weak and I havent seen any/much blood in his droppings.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I noticed some red in my budgies poop, turned out to be the red chewable perch. Are there any perches in there that could be it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
also, does your bird eat any rest foods including its pellets?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
I noticed some red in my budgies poop, turned out to be the red chewable perch. Are there any perches in there that could be it?
Hmm, it may be. He has a blue sand perch that he was chewing on in the shower, and amother sand cover on his other perch which is a tan/orange color. He tried chewing on them a few days ago so it may be that? He doesn't have an edible perch yet

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
also, does your bird eat any rest foods including its pellets?
I'm trying to incorporate pellets into his diet, but he hasn't been eating them recently I don't think. I've just mixed them into his seeds. They are dyed, but I've had the pellets in there for a while (even taking out all the seeds so he'd eat the pellets) and it's never been that color.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When you say sand perch do you mean covered with sand paper type perches? If so, I would remove them. They are really too rough on a tiel's feet and also aren't good if ingested. I hope your bird is okay.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that he is doing better and no more red in the droppings but do monitor that.

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
When you say sand perch do you mean covered with sand paper type perches? If so, I would remove them. They are really too rough on a tiel's feet and also aren't good if ingested. I hope your bird is okay.
Oh okay thank you so much! I removed them right after reading this.
It was just a cover at the end of one of his perches to file down his nails sincw they haven't been trimmed for quite a while.