• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent Help Please

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, that is a hole on the egg so it looks like we have another one coming!

We are in Brisbane, QLD and it is Sunday night here so we won’t be able to get a brooder box or formula until the morning. If the mother is not looking after her baby will it be too late by the morning? But if in the morning the baby is fine does that mean that the mum has been taking care if it?

We don’t want to interfere with the mum looking after her baby if we don’t have too, but we also don’t want to leave it too late and the baby dies.

sorry for all the questions!
The one thing you don't want to do is fuss too much near the cage and make the parents nervous. So tell us... do the parents look stressed out at all .. I know quakers can be very territorial about their cages. You can look at the first hatched chick to see if the crop is filled... if it is you'll know she's feeding it. I'm attaching a video for you to see very young chicks... mixed species of birds being fed. The PURPOSE of this video is for you to closely watch how the crop expands out as it's filled with the formula... so you will know what it looks like when the crop is full. He describes what he is doing well... I'm just not that crazy about how he picks them up. Obviously, this is a bird farm raising many species.

You will still need to be prepared with formula, very small syringes and pipettes, digital thermometer to measure the temp of formula, cups to mix in, and a brooder, heating pad, another digital thermometer/ hygrometer to set inside the brooder to know what the inside temperature is for the chicks= IF you end up having to take care of them. ( and the aspen shavings Zara mentioned above)

When exactly did the first chick hatch... write those dates down and the time you first noticed the chick.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Another brooder example and a detailed page for you to read... scroll down on this page to where it begins with what I pasted below:

3 Basic Parts to a Brooder

3 Basic Parts to a Brooder

1. Small heating pads for babies can be found in most department stores. There are also similar heating pads available in medical clinics and stores that cater to athletes.

2. Plastic containers are easy to see through and clean, and usually come with a convenient top. In a pinch you can use a card board box and even a small picnic cooler.

3.Thermometers do not need to be expensive and highly accurate, but they do need to be consistent. Thermometers will be used as a guideline because you will determine the actual temperature setting by the body posture of the baby.

Alexandra1

Moving in
UPDATE
Thanks everyone for all your help so far!

This morning the mum bird was down laying on the rest of her eggs and with the baby, I’ve been to a pet store and got a clear box, heating pad and formula if we have to intervene but it looks as though the mum is doing her job! The room they are in is nice and warm and quiet so hopefully all will be well.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
UPDATE
Thanks everyone for all your help so far!

This morning the mum bird was down laying on the rest of her eggs and with the baby, I’ve been to a pet store and got a clear box, heating pad and formula if we have to intervene but it looks as though the mum is doing her job! The room they are in is nice and warm and quiet so hopefully all will be well.
Thank goodness! Out of curiosity... do you know how old each of the parents are? I would suspect this may be a first time for your hen to actually produce chicks and she may have been a little put off with the first baby hatching and hopefully now her natural instincts have kicked in. I'm very happy you went out for the supplies and are ready for any case scenario. Did you find syringes too? The other method for hand feeding is by spoon... a bit messier but effective and less likely to aspirate a chick. They also make special spoons for hand feeding. You can find those by googling "hand feeding spoon".