• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent Help Please

Alexandra1

Moving in
Hello,

Our Quakers egg hatched yesterday and we have no idea what we are meant to do to help care for the baby Bird.

We’ve tried googling but there is hardly any info. Please can someone give us some tips or direct us to where we can can some information on how best to care for the baby bird.

thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the baby with the parents?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Did you provide a nest box at all? I'm trying to determine if there was a nest box and the mother tossed the baby out or if the mother laid the egg ( are there other eggs?) in any nesting material on the floor of the cage.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Can you share a few photos of the cage and baby?

Alexandra1

Moving in
It wasn’t in a nest box, we did put one in there but she would always get her eggs out of there and put them on bottom of the cage. We put wood shavings on the bottom of the cage around the eggs and the baby hatched on to the wood shavings. There are 3 other eggs in there and the baby is laying in the middle of the eggs.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It wasn’t in a nest box, we did put one in there but she would always get her eggs out of there and put them on bottom of the cage. We put wood shavings on the bottom of the cage around the eggs and the baby hatched on to the wood shavings. There are 3 other eggs in there and the baby is laying in the middle of the eggs.
If you can provide a photo that would be helpful. The other eggs may hatch as well. Is the room warm where they are? Sometimes new parents don't have the instincts to take care of their first clutch of eggs. Is the male in this cage too? The baby doesn't need to be fed within the first 8-12 hours. Keep an eye on the mother but from a distance so you don't make her nervous about going back to the eggs and baby and see if she goes back down to sit on the eggs and feed the baby. If it looks like she totally abandons the nest and never goes back to it then it will be up to you to take care of the baby...

Alexandra1

Moving in
Thanks so much for your help!

The male is in there too, the cage is indoors so it’s room temperature but we could put the heating on if that will help?

our concern is that the mum doesn’t seem to be paying the baby any attention and she hasn’t returned to her eggs in a couple of hours.

If it comes to it what should we be feeding the baby?

Will post a pic in a min!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Shezbug Is Zara on? Wondering if she can find that post with the photo of the small brooder with the temperature gauge inside it. This person may need to set up a brooder in case the parents don't take care of the chicks.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks so much for your help!

The male is in there too, the cage is indoors so it’s room temperature but we could put the heating on if that will help?

our concern is that the mum doesn’t seem to be paying the baby any attention and she hasn’t returned to her eggs in a couple of hours.

If it comes to it what should we be feeding the baby?

Will post a pic in a min!
You'll need formula made for birds and a brooder set up to place the babies in. For now it will be just the one chick. Eggs generally hatch every other day so you may expect another egg to hatch tomorrow. Ideally, if kept in a brooder the inside temperature for a newly hatched chick is 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit.

Here’s the baby and the other eggs.

Is that a hole in the end of the one egg? Could it be hatching? The baby looks ok.. the other eggs help to keep it warm. I wouldn't disturb the nest at this point but you will need to add some extra shavings. Try not to make the mother and father nervous. Where are you located?

Reactions: tka

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug Is Zara on? Wondering if she can find that post with the photo of the small brooder with the temperature gauge inside it. This person may need to set up a brooder in case the parents don't take care of the chicks.
@Zara is not on at the moment but she usually is on about now so hopefully she’ll be along soon.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Zara is not on at the moment but she usually is on about now so hopefully she’ll be along soon.
I have a few things to do ..will check back in 40 min or so..

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

is this the one?

Alexandra1

Moving in
Yes, that is a hole on the egg so it looks like we have another one coming!

We are in Brisbane, QLD and it is Sunday night here so we won’t be able to get a brooder box or formula until the morning. If the mother is not looking after her baby will it be too late by the morning? But if in the morning the baby is fine does that mean that the mum has been taking care if it?

We don’t want to interfere with the mum looking after her baby if we don’t have too, but we also don’t want to leave it too late and the baby dies.

sorry for all the questions!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Someone to help with more information will be along soon so keep checking in.

In the meantime make sure there’s no drafts and your house is warm.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wondering if she can find that post with the photo of the small brooder with the temperature gauge inside it.
(It is a sticky on Breeders boulevard)
@Alexandra1 you will need some Aspen shavings to line the brooder with. You can use a plastic turtle tub (they are also used for taking baby small birds home in) like in the thread @Shezbug linked :
You will need to wake at the crack of dawn and as soon as the shop opens, be there to buy baby formula. Kaytee, Hagen or Nutribird are all good brands, but if they are not avail, get any parrot/hookbill formula.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

is this the one?
No, not the one I was thinking about..