• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
My cockatiel's first egg hatched and they want NOTHING to do with the baby. They pushed it away and pecked at it. (I made the brooder listed on here and put the baby in it. I also fed it.) Is there any thing else I can do? Also, it says to feed the baby every 2 hrs and that is fine but what do you do when you are asleep?

Please help, I want to give this baby a chance at life. It isn't its fault that it was born to bad parents. :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Moved your thread to our 911 section so it will get more views.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
When a baby hatches that can't be hand fed by its parents, breeders will wake up every 2 hours, day or night. It can be very exhausting :(

:hug8: Hugs for you and this baby.

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
AWWWWWW how sad.....keep us posted:hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, I'm so sorry this happened...are they 1st time parents? Maybe after a few days instinct will kick in (only under constant supervision at first.) Yes, they need to eat very often the first week or so, but then every 3-4 hrs. They'll let you know when they're hungry. Many people have been in your situation & will help you--what a rewarding experience for you if it succeeds !!! Do you have handfeeding formula? Many people use Kaytee Exact. Good luck & bless you for your concern. Oh,a soft, fleecy cuddle-buddy will help, too !!!

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you actually have to feed the baby every two hours...you have to set your alarm clock and wake up to do it...Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula is one of the best, though there are other brands....and y ou might try putting a stuffed animal in there so the little one has extra warmth..the key is not to raise the temp of the brooder too high or the baby will cook..and not too low either..there is also usally a reason why a chick is shoved ou t...sometimes because the parents sense something is wrong with the baby (could be anything from splay legs to something major) or because they want to breed again.....ggood luck with the baby....it is very tiring because you must must feed the baby...being asleep is not an option..you must wake up to do it.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
My cockatiel's first egg hatched and they want NOTHING to do with the baby. They pushed it away and pecked at it. (I made the brooder listed on here and put the baby in it. I also fed it.) Is there any thing else I can do? Also, it says to feed the baby every 2 hrs and that is fine but what do you do when you are asleep?

Please help, I want to give this baby a chance at life. It isn't its fault that it was born to bad parents. :(
You will have to wake up every 2 hours with the baby to feed him/her. Are you experienced in handfeeding? What temp are you keeping the brooder? What material are you using in the brooder? What is the temp of the handfeeding formula? Do you have any type of humidity in the brooder? What are you using to keep the brooder warm (light, heating pad etc)?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I agree with the others in saying that the baby will have to get fed every two hours for the time being in order to survive. You will have to set a clock and have to feed the baby every two hours just like you would a new born child. Make sure to keep the baby warm and that the food is at the correct temperature too. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How often did you check up on the parront birds? Cockatiels are one of the best parront birds you can get. Usually the only problems when breeding is they won't stop, too young, and stressed due to us humans bothering them too much.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also you need to make sure the formula is not too hot or too cold. You will need a thermometer. The formula needs to be between 103 and 110.

Here is a video how to hand feed. Until you know what your doing GO SLOW!

‪stargazrt4's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Ginger

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
I am using the kaytee exact formula. Right now I am using a very small cage with a heating pad under it (towls on top of the pad) and then newspaper and papertowls on the inside. The temp is at 90. The only problem I have with the feeding is my dropper is to big for the babys mouth. I don't have a smaller one till tomorrow >.<. Any idea on what I could use? Also the stuffed animal to keep warm is a good idea. Thank you all and please keep giving me ideas if you have em.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can try dropping into his widdle mouth from your finger. Or from something small like a stir straw. Dropping it, don't put it in his mouth.

Ginger

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
You can go to a pharmacy and get syringes. They normally give you a few for free. Just say you want a 1mL syringe for feeding your bird, or see if they have anything smaller even. But a stir straw like Ginger said would work well too, just be sure not to drop it out too fast, keep your finger over one side.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
I found a spoon with the side edges bent up worked well for hand feeding - slower yes, but easier (for me and Schubert). Best wishes.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Definitely try a pharmacy. Some pet stores have the syringes too. You can also try a pipette. If you are near a vet, I bet they would sell you one as well. Definitely get one asap, as feeding properly now is very important. Good luck!

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
A few hrs ago, the mom took over the baby!!!! yay!!! She is sitting on the baby now and the dad is guarding them.

The thing is, I haven't seen her feed the baby yet, and it has been a lil over 2 hrs now. Should I worry? Will she feed it or should I feed it to make sure it doesnt starve?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keep an eye on him, you don't want them injuring or killing him.

Ginger

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
oh dont worry, i am watching them very closely. I fed it because it was crying so much and she just wanted to clean and sit on it. Hopefully she will learn to take over the feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.