• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help needed please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
so glad he is doing better and you have resources available

give your daughter a hug for me for being so brave :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree 100% with what your vet and others are telling you. He's part of your family now and he will be better off in your care.

Get used to having meal worms in your fridge. :rofl:

Ginger

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also roll the mealworms in powdered calcium for the little guy, thats what we do at the wildlife centre here, we feed them exact formula and then wean them on mealworms and soft food like cooked rice, oats, corn and such ...then on to the seeds. .He sure is lucky your daughter came along. Shes a great kid. I cant believe someone would pick on a baby bird like that.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Yes, I agree that you've got a house sparrow (weaver finch) there. She sounds like a really sweet little bird. Here in the U.S., the house sparrow is considered an invasive species ( is not native to our country). I am not sure about South Africa. But, regardless, no critter gets to choose what species he/she is! :hehe: And your little sparrow surely has a strong will to live. Bless you for your compassion and dedication! :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well good luck dear Liz....and believe me, that birdie is lucky to have you...when you get a chance, repeat Patche's story and how you saved her from certain death...everyone she saved a tiel on the brink of death...sat with her for three days with no sleep cradling her to keep her alive..this woman is the bird whisperer!!

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Just saw this, I've hand raised a sparrow and finch before. Loved it .

Found them both outside with no feathers on. There was no way I couldn't have saved them. Hand Feeding Formula Kaytee Exact is what I used. No worms. Some birds don't eat worms. Mostly seeds. The formula was the only thing I feed until I could incorporate higgins small fruit and veggie into there diet.

Are you going to keep the little sparrow as a pet ? Both of the babies I found were raised as pets.

LittleBirdAirlines

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lindsey "Lynz"
Thanks for the updates. Your daughter and you are both wonderful people. Make sure your daughter doesn't lose that love of animals!

I just know the little bird is in great hands and will do fine. Keep doing what you're doing, you sound like you're doing a great job!

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Just saw this, I've hand raised a sparrow and finch before. Loved it .

Found them both outside with no feathers on. There was no way I couldn't have saved them. Hand Feeding Formula Kaytee Exact is what I used. No worms. Some birds don't eat worms. Mostly seeds. The formula was the only thing I feed until I could incorporate higgins small fruit and veggie into there diet.

Are you going to keep the little sparrow as a pet ? Both of the babies I found were raised as pets.
Of course i am going to keep this baby. His/her name is Casper. Just watching him as he eats his formla off the teaspoon and then tries to lick my fingar clean or while i give him scritches and he falls asleep but all the while stretching his neck out so i do not miss a spot brings such tears to my eyes. He is such a beautiful bird....and deserves the chance to grow up and live a long life. I already love him with all my heart.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
This is an amazing story. I will check back often for updates! Good luck to you and your daughter is obviously a sweetheart for caring enough about animals to want to save this little bird's life... and it sounds like she did!

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Thanks for the updates. Your daughter and you are both wonderful people. Make sure your daughter doesn't lose that love of animals!

I just know the little bird is in great hands and will do fine. Keep doing what you're doing, you sound like you're doing a great job!
I do not think she will ever lose her love for animals. In fact with each year that passes her passion for animals especially birds just gets stronger and stronger. At the age of 7 (she is 9 now) she hand reared her own baby cockatiel and a more responsible bird mommy you couldnt get. From a small age when asked when she wanted to be when she grows up it was always a doctor but the last 2 years she has shifted her focus to becoming an avian vet. She is only Grade 4 now but her knowledge of birds (especially tiels, budgies and other tame home birdies) amazes me. Some kids at her school often come to her and ask her about proper nutrition for their pet birds etc. She is truly a little bird whisperer.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw I am so glad to hear the good news. Your daughter is such a sweetie and you are doing great with the little one. I am glad you are keeping Casper. I can't to see more photos.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Good luck with getting your little feathered friend healthy and grown,and you should be so proud of that daughter of yours. You have brought her up with knowing true values for life. God bless.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Does he have YELLOW on his beak? He doesnt look like a baby at all. I would say she is an adult female in winter plumage. Babies have yellow beaks which recedes a they get older. A fledgling baby sparrow will have yellow at the sides of the beak, to indicate its still young.

Ive rehabilitated many house sparrows and starlings, and crows and quite a few other birds.

I would say, do not feed dog or cat food. As a VERY YOUNG baby, you can, but as a maturing yougnster/fledgling, do not feed it dog or cat food. Its not a crow or a Jay, its a seed and bug eater. So feed seed and bugs, to wean it and get it to eat on its own.

If its an adult and your handfeeding it, more than likely she is ill. Which is why she is very tame and handable and taking feedings.

I'll post pics of my female house sparrow soon :)

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Does he have YELLOW on his beak? He doesnt look like a baby at all. I would say she is an adult female in winter plumage. Babies have yellow beaks which recedes a they get older. A fledgling baby sparrow will have yellow at the sides of the beak, to indicate its still young.

Ive rehabilitated many house sparrows and starlings, and crows and quite a few other birds.

I would say, do not feed dog or cat food. As a VERY YOUNG baby, you can, but as a maturing yougnster/fledgling, do not feed it dog or cat food. Its not a crow or a Jay, its a seed and bug eater. So feed seed and bugs, to wean it and get it to eat on its own.

If its an adult and your handfeeding it, more than likely she is ill. Which is why she is very tame and handable and taking feedings.

I'll post pics of my female house sparrow soon :)
I had him/her at the vet today. She is not a certified Avian vet, but has done many courses about birds etc, and she is a rehabilitator of rescued wildbirds. She said Casper is still a baby. His feathers have not even fully grown in over his chest yet. Still got yellow on the sides of beak. He/she is a STREAKY HEAD SEEDEATER.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I thought it didn't look like a house sparrow(too dark), but more of a song sparrow type. Im sorry to have to tell you this, but I would check in with your local wildlife rehabilitation, its illegal to keep native species of birds. Many native species of birds are going endangered do to feral cats and animals preying on them, and depletion of natural resources.

P.s: I didnt realize you live in South Africa, my apologize.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
They are in South Africa.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.